13895205_922463214546780_8951554949253026289_n
Charlotte Taylor

St Andrews graduate Charlotte Taylor missed out on a potential medal at this summer’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Taylor graduated from the University in 2010 with a degree in Modern History before completing an MLitt in Iranian Studies. Following her tenure in the East Neuk she moved to Bedford, where upon she t0ok up rowing in order to make new friends.

She broke through into the GB rowing set-up in 2014 and was partnered up with Katherine Copeland, who previously partnered Sophie Hosking to Gold at London 2012. The two tasted success last year, winning gold at the European Championships in Poland before securing a silver in the World Championships in France but had struggled for form going into the Olympics.

Despite that, they still entered Rio among the medal favourites but struggled in their opening heat, only finishing 5th. That forced them into a repechage, where they knew a top two finish would secure them a berth in the semi-finals and another chance at a medal.

However, an early mistake cost them dear and despite rowing hard in the last 750m, they ended the race third and therefore have been eliminated from the Olympic regatta. Whilst the results may be disappointing, they are a young crew and on the performances here, they showed that they could be a force to be reckoned with in the next few years.