East Sands is officially closed for business: Visitors have been told to avoid the waters of the local beach after its shores were covered by between 40 and 50 piles of silt.

The debris, which according to Fife Today was deposited by a contractor this past weekend, came from Kinness Burn and St Andrews Harbour. Objects such as bricks, pipes and an oil drum littered the beach’s shores and turned the waters of East Sands black.

The Scottish Environmental Protection Agency is investigating the incident.

A spokesman said: “Given the location of the deposits, Marine Scotland is currently engaging with the Harbour Trust to arrange for the material to be removed and ensure that no further deposits are made on the beach.

“SEPA officers are currently undertaking an inspection of the beach as a designated EU bathing water and SEPA’s electronic sign at East Sands has been updated to advise against swimming or paddling in the water until all material has been safely removed. While monitoring is ongoing, SEPA has also been in discussion with Fife Coast and Countryside Trust and Marine Scotland to advise that all material is properly disposed of to a licenced facility able to accept the waste.”