Photo: Jannettas Gelateria
Nicola Hazel, Dean Watson and David McClure. Photo: Jannettas Gelateria

Nicola and Owen Hazel of Jannettas Gelateria have launched a memorial scholarship, named the Fiona De Angelis (née Jannetta) Academic Scholarship. The scholarship has been created to provide financial support for a Madras College student hoping to advance their career by embarking on further education. The first recipient of the award is 17-year-old Madras prefect Dean Watson, who will start a petroleum engineering course at Fife College in the autumn. Dean has been a carer since the age of eight, looking after his mother, who is disabled and wheelchair-bound, and his grandmother, who has Alzheimer’s disease, as well as his three-year-old sister. Dean is a member of the Fife Young Carers focus group, and was nominated to speak at Stirling University on behalf of Fife for the ‘Time to be Heard’ campaign. Dean has also raised funds for Motor Neurone Disease by assisting with a fundraising event for his former Maths teacher, Donald Grewar, who is currently battling the disease, and volunteered for the Bethany Christian Trust, a charity for the homeless.

Dean said, “I am absolutely delighted, and humbled, to be awarded this scholarship, particularly to be the first recipient to do so. Jannettas has always been part of my childhood, and to be supported in my studies here in Fife by a local business is just fantastic. I enjoy making a difference to people’s lives and will do my utmost to honour the Jannettas family name.

“After my formal education is complete, I’d love to join the Royal Marines or the Army, and to serve people while exploring new opportunities for my own personal development,” Mr Watson added.

Photo: Jannettas Gelateria
Fiona De Angelis. Photo: Jannettas Gelateria

Jannettas is a family business that has been operating in St Andrews since 1908 and has strong links with the town. Indeed, the family has a particularly strong link with Madras College as four generations of the Jannettas family have attended or are currently attending the College; Charlie Jannetta, Fiona De Angelis herself, who attended the school between 1948 and 1954, Nicola Hazel, and Nicola and Owen’s three children.

Nicola Hazel, the Trustee and co-owner of Jannettas Gelateria, expressed her delight at being able to give back to the local school in the form of an annual memorial scholarship: “For four generations, my family have lived within the St Andrews community and at the heart of that community has been Madras College. It has seen four generations of the Jannettas family lineage come through its doors and thrive. Today we wish to celebrate and recognise our association and heritage within the town and its community by setting up an Academic Scholarship in my Mother’s memory and name, to give a Madras College student the same opportunity that was afforded me and generations before me.”

Mrs Hazel said that Dean is an “extremely worthy and deserving candidate” and that she looks forward to supporting him and following his progress through the scholarship period.

David McClure, Rector of Madras College, said: “I am truly delighted for Dean that he will be the first recipient of this very generous scholarship offer.”  “I have known Dean for three years and even taught him Mathematics last year while he was applying for his further education progression.  His application for this scholarship was a true reflection of the challenges he has faced over the years and we believe this scholarship will help to support him in his future career.”

Dean expressed his support for the award, saying: “It is a wonderful gesture by Jannettas to give something back to the school which they feel has served, and is serving, their family and others in the community well.”