Fashion houses across the globe explored creative environments this summer. The Trevi Fountain, a landmark of Rome, Italy, set the stage for Fendi, an Italian fashion house, to display its newest collection: Legends and Fairy Tales. Karl Lagerfeld, the label’s mastermind, stocked the runway with whimsical, flowing dresses reminiscent of children’s fables. Accessories included Victorian inspired heeled boots, ornate purses, and despite the Roman summer air, touches of fur. A clear glass runway, installed over the fountain, created the allusion of wading through the water. Though culturally symbolic, as synonymous with Roman culture and history and undeniably associated with unparalleled style, the selection of the Trevi Fountain was also a grand reopening for the fountain, which Fendi had donated funding to restore.

Getty Images
Getty Images

Earlier this summer, Louis Vuitton hosted their 2017 cruise collection show in Rio de Janeiro. The urban backdrop peppered with contrasting colonial and art deco architecture established the idea of the intersection between nature and bustling colourful pace in their collection. The Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Niterói housed the event whilst encapsulating Rio’s high energy. The distinctive runway paired with vibrant styles encouraged flamboyant summer fashions. Potentially politically poignant, as the nation faces an impeachment trial, the decision to host the show in Rio paralleled the approaching Olympic games.

@louisvuitton
@louisvuitton

Berlin Fashion Week, hosted by Mercedes Benz, concluded this week. Previously, from 2005 to 2013, the event, renown for unique runway locations, included showcasing collections underneath the street on the metro. The notion, rooted in financial practicality for budding designers, matched the movement for street ready style and spurred great public interest. The underground commuter train also proved popular for the ‘underground catwalk’. The German Fashion Council nurtures new talent, such as Philomena Zanetti and William Fan. This year’s show offered fresh style with an appealing mixture of textures; following the events, Forbes deemed Berlin as ‘The Most Undervalued Fashion Capital of Europe’.

With the coming semester in sight, we eagerly anticipate this year’s student run fashion shows. Surrounded by flourishing design and unique inspiration, will the committees in charge arrange a more novel experience? Creativity and enthusiasm abound, the composition of this year’s shows must be sure to exhilarate and inspire!