Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2016: St Andrews edition

4
Photo: Shakespeare Syndrome
Photo: Shakespeare Syndrome
Photo: Shakespeare Syndrome

As your newsfeeds have surely informed you, the 2016 Edinburgh Festival Fringe will soon be unleashing a host of actors, singers, dancers, comedians, and countless other performers into the streets of Scotland’s capital. Having showcased the UK’s finest talent since 1947, the Fringe is routinely attended by St Andrews-spawned artists of all persuasions. Over the course of the next month, anyone in the Edinburgh area will have the chance to see St Andreans in action as they laugh, dance and sing to the beat of their own drums.

From Saturday 6 August to Saturday 20 August, the much-anticipated play ‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore will enjoy a 14-show run. Unusual in that it is an entirely self-funded show, rather than a beneficiary of the Mermaids Performing Arts Fund, the production has been an ongoing passion project for both cast and crew. Described as a “Jacobean parody of Romeo and Juliet,” the spectacle is sure to be a standout in this year’s lineup.

In affiliation with Mermaids, The Hummingbirds will be making their debut Fringe appearance from Monday 15 August to Saturday 20 August. Promising more of their award-winning choreography and signature peppy delivery, their production Love is Not Our Forte will be one of four St Andrews a cappella shows seen at the Fringe.

The Other Guys can be found at the Fringe from Monday 15 August to Saturday 20 August. Their set will celebrate a year of touring, competitions and music videos, and the group promises that several new numbers and dance moves will be in store for attendees.

The Accidentals will also be making an appearance from Monday 15 August to Saturday 27 August at theSpace @ Symposium Hall. Their production Tone Down For What will show off the skills that won them the Scottish A Cappella Championships in 2015. 

A rare co-ed a cappella group, the Alleycats will return to the Fringe with Gap Year!, a fifty minute musical account of the members’ adventures outside of university. You can listen to their tales from Thursday 4 August to Monday 29 August, or for a special guest performance on Wednesday 3 August at Spiegeltent in St. Andrew Square.

Delay Detach, a Mermaids production,  will run from Friday 5 August to Friday 19 August. Penned by St Andrews graduate Joanna Alpern and directed by 2015-2016 Mermaids president Joanna Bowman, the play hopes to bring attention to the topical issue of mental health. It is the seventh production of Sonder Theatre, a St Andrews student theatre company. 

Fresh off a year of standup, Blind Mirth will present Blind Mirth, the only improvised comedy troupe to emerge from St Andrews. Running from Saturday 6 August to Saturday 20 August, the Mermaids-sponsored show will certainly carry the one-of-a-kind flair that Blind Mirth has offered the Fringe in the past.

Another light-hearted production from the Mermaids, Shakespeare Syndrome is billed as a one-act comedy by recent St Andrews graduate Catriona Scott. Meta and mordant, the show revolves around the lives of several Shakespeare characters who find themselves in the same therapist’s office. Shakespeare Syndrome will run from Friday 5 August to Saturday 20 August.

The Mermaids will also be sending Gilbert & Sullivan Society’s The Mikado to the Edinburgh stage. Debuting on Monday 15 August and closing on Saturday 20 August, the show satirises British culture with the aid of a Japanese setting. Music, one liners and the threat of execution will all be present in this comedic production.

Fans of comedy can find the St Andrews Revue from Thursday 4 August to Sunday 28 August at the Assembly Hall for a 50 minute laugh-out-loud sketch spectacular. Veterans of the Fringe, the Revue will certainly be packing a punchline.