Scotland’s first Graduate Medical Programme announced

0
Photo: Sammi McKee

Scotland’s first Graduate Medical Programme will be delivered by the University of St Andrews together with the universities of Dundee and the Highlands and Islands, it has been announced.

The Scottish Graduate Entry Medical Programme (ScotGEM) is a four-year programme that will accommodate up to 50 students per year, starting in the academic year 2018/19 subject to approval from the General Medical Council.

The programme will have a particular focus on recruitment of Scottish graduates to increase the likelihood of trainees remaining in Scotland, particularly in rural and remote areas.

Bids were invited by the Scottish Government for a graduate entry programme. Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport Shona Robison announced the Dundee, St Andrews and Highlands and Islands bid had been successful in a speech to NHS Scotland on 14 June.

Ms Robison said: “I am delighted to announce that the medical schools in St Andrews and Dundee will deliver Scotland’s first graduate entry programme for medicine, in collaboration with the University of the Highlands and Islands and partner health boards.

“Scotland’s first graduate entry programme in medicine was one of a number of initiatives announced by the First Minister earlier this year and it forms part of our commitment to create a more sustainable medical workforce and encourage more people into a career in healthcare, whatever their background.

“This course will enhance the range of medical education already available in Scotland through our five world-leading medical schools.”

ScotGEM will be led jointly by the Medical Schools at St Andrews and Dundee. Partners in the venture include NHS Fife and NHS Tayside.

Professor David Crossman, Dean of Medicine at the University of St Andrews, said: “Graduate Entry Medicine courses have proven highly effective for training doctors who bring their experience and education from their first degree and often experience work outside the University and health sector.

“The development of ScotGEM is very good news for the people of Scotland and Scottish medicine. I am delighted that the University of St Andrews has been chosen to be part of this development.”