Duke's

Sunday 12 June saw the Duke’s Golf Course host the annual Old Tom Morris Trophy and, as always, it resulted in some fiercely competitive golf.

The trophy is named after Scottish golfer Tom Morris, winner of 4 Open Championships and a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame since 1976 and is a pairs competition played in the Pinehurst or Chapmans format. This format sees both players take the tee shot on a hole and then switch for the second shot, meaning player A hits the drive of player B and vice versa. The better second shot is then chosen as the one to proceed with for the hole and the players alternate shots until the ball is putted.

This year the trophy had two separate categories for the golfers to compete in – one for pairings of a member and a guest player and one for pairs comprised solely of members.

In the member/guest category, Keith Renton and Gordon Dickson came out on top with a score of 38 points, just one point clear of Sandy and John Mitchell in second and a further point ahead of Angela and Ashley Brown in third.

In the members competition it was the pairing of Chris Martin and Chris Nicoll who tasted success with an impressive score of 44. Dave Kidson and Alex Cairns came second with a score of 39 points and Ross Moir and Alex Mair completed with top three with a score of 37.