Grad Ball: the grand finale approaches

0
Photo: Cameron Prentice
635723407905932477-1631883655_Graduation
Photo: WeSharePics.info

Saturday 25 June holds a special place in the solid majority of St Andrews students’ calendars. For the graduating class of 2016 it marks the both the pinnacle and finale of their ‘events’ experience at our University. The 2016 Graduation Ball will take place on this date in an elaborate marquee on Lower College Lawn, a place known for hosting a variety of successful events, such as the Kate Kennedy Opening Ball and FS.

The large number of succinct and timely notifications emanating from the incredibly well run ‘Your Union Events’ Facebook page promises that this will be a night to remember. Yet it is not just a night open to the graduating class, but will also be attended by students of all ages. Furthermore, as the page itself informs me, ‘Why not bring your friends/brothers/sisters/significant others too?’.

Last year’s event presented The Hoosiers as the headlining act, with the venue itself featuring an ice sculpture and a Lanson Champagne Bar. In my opinion, this year looks even better. Along with St Andrews’ favourite DJ Alasdair Todd and the Lizard Lounge’s own DJ Ian, the headliners are American star Sean Kingston, best known for ‘Fire Burning’ and ‘Beautiful Girls’; Alexandra Stan, artist of the impossibly catchy hit ‘Mr Saxobeat’; and Syn Cole of ‘Feel Good’ and ‘It’s You’.

DJ Ian is a particularly inspired choice, as the Class of 2016 may be the last year to have enjoyed sweaty sports nights in the Lizard long before the Union’s refurbishment. What could be better than being welcomed onto the dancefloor at your last ball by none other than his usual ensemble of classic, good feel hits? As for the the headlining acts, the artists speak for themselves. Amongst my friends there is breathless excitement at the chance to see,  hear and be serenaded by Sean Kingston and his famous ‘Beautiful Girls’ of 2007. When else will we get the chance to witness a live rendition of ‘Mr Saxobeat’?

So far Grad Ball 2016 promises to be a night to remember and the perfect way to round off four years of spectacular events.

Tickets are selling out fast so get yours at: http://www.yourunion.net/ents/event/210/.