Car crashes into St Andrews hospital

0
St Andrews Hospital
St Andrews Hospital

A car has crashed into the St Andrews Memorial Hospital.

The police were called to the hospital at 02:30 AM and found an Audi motorcar embedded in the wall with both the vehicle and building on fire.

According to a statement from Police Scotland, the fire was quickly brought under control while patients and staff were evacuated to safety elsewhere in the complex.

The section of hospital used by GP services is said to have suffered significant structural damage and IT services have been lost.

Services are likely to be affected for several weeks, although staff are working to ensure continuity of care.

“We would like to reassure our patients and members of the public that whilst there has been significant damage to an area of the building, our patients and staff are safe,” a spokesman for NHS Fife said.

“We have put in place contingency plans to ensure the continued provision of high quality care and we are working to return services to normal as soon as possible. Inpatient care is unaffected and wards should be contacted in the usual manner.”

He added: “Because the GP practice area of building has been assessed as significantly damaged, we are now in the process of trying to contact patients with existing GP appointments to make alternative arrangements; if there is a need for urgent GP assessment, please present to the minor injuries unit or contact NHS 24.

“All other areas of the building continue to operate as normal. This situation continues to be under regular review and further information will be made available in due course.”

A 27-year-old man was traced at a nearby address and taken into custody. He will be appearing in court at a later date in relation to road traffic offences.

Sergeant Pat Turner of St Andrews Police Station said: “It was extremely fortunate that the part of the building with which the vehicle collided was not being used at that time.

“But this incident had the potential for much more serious consequences.

“This was undoubtedly a frightening experience for hospital residents but staff and emergency services initiated established protocols which resulted in the safe evacuation of all patients and staff.”