Push the Boat Out makes splash in Fife this weekend

1

StAndrewsPTBOPush the Boat Out is a great way to discover a new outdoor sport to enjoy this summer. Dinghy sailing, windsurfing, keelboat sailing and kayaking are among the activities on offer to all ages and abilities. This year, over 300 venues have signed up around the UK, with 28 in Scotland.  With twice as many locations participating this year, make sure you don’t miss this opportunity to get afloat.

Push the Boat Out began in March 2011 and has gone from strength to strength since then and is run by RYA Scotland. The RYA is a membership organisation covering all forms of recreational and competitive sailing in Scotland and has over 6,000 members.

Largo Bay Sailing Club is hosting their event on the 14th of May with St Andrews Sailing Club on the 22nd of May and they are just one of several clubs holding events this year. Going from Oban to Montrose or Loch Ryan to Banff, this nationwide ‘have-a-go’ campaign gives all comers the chance to get on the water for free or low cost over nine days from Saturday 14 to Sunday 22 May.

Donald Aitken of Largo Sailing Club says “Largo Bay Sailing Club has been in existence since 1959 when the local community was fully involved in the self-building of clubhouse. We are still very much a community club and want to encourage even more people from the surrounding area to come and join a very friendly and open club.”

Jonathon Marks, RYA Centre Principal & Bosun of St Andrews Sailing Club comments, “St Andrews Sailing Club excited to take part in Push the Boat Out with an event on Sunday the 22nd of May which will allow people to experience the joys of sailing while enjoying beautiful views of St Andrews.”

Both clubs are offering free taster sessions with experienced dinghy sailors in various types of boat suited to everyone free of charge. As well, there is the chance to enjoy the historic St Andrews club house which used to be the St Andrews Lifeboat with many artefacts still on show.

Liza Linton, Development Manager for RYA Scotland said, “I’m delighted that we’ve doubled the numbers of clubs and centres involved in this initiative for 2016. It is a great opportunity for them to harness national and local publicity for their facilities and for them to be able to give others the chance to try our sports.” She continued that, “hopefully we shall be able to turn some of the first timers, who will hopefully gain a great experience, into lifelong participants of our sport”.

More than 65,000 people have discovered the sport through Push the Boat Out since its 2011 launch. Nationally, 2015 Push the Boat Out saw almost 28,500 newcomers attend events across the UK.

Love Boating?  Then why not join the association that promotes and protects, safe, successful and rewarding British boating.  Join today and support the RYA in protecting your boating rights and freedoms.  Take advantage of free advice and support on all aspects of your boating, as well as enjoying a range of fantastic personal member offers.  Find out more by calling 02380 604 159, email member.services@rya.org.uk or visit www.rya.org.uk