Photo Credit: Pixabay
Photo Credit: Pixabay

Technology can be a great way to soften the financial burden of liv- ing in an expensive town such as St Andrews. All of these apps are free to download and available on both iOS and Android platforms. They may just save you a few pounds here and there when going about your regular shopping.

Bounts

Bounts rewards your physical activity with vouchers for popular stores. The app works in tandem with your device’s built in activity monitoring capabilities, along with fitness apps such as MapMyFitness, RunKeeper, Moves, Fitbit and Apple’s Health app, to give you credits for walking, running, going to the gym, and participating in other forms of exercise. These credits can be exchanged for vouchers at locations in town like Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Pizza Express.

You can earn credits simply by go- ing about your day on foot; however, more serious amounts can be amassed by undertaking one of Bounts’ challenges, which require a little more commitment. Some users have voiced complaints regarding the app’s monitoring of exercise, but the software is updated frequently, making this a very useful app for keeping in shape and saving cash simultaneously.

Vouchercloud

The ergonomic design of voucher- cloud’s interface makes it a pleasure to use, even discounting the fact that the app offers discounts on a wide range of retailers and restaurants found locally. Current deals include up to 50 per cent off in Paperchase, a 20 per cent discount in Joules and offers in restaurants like Domino’s and Pizza Express. There is also an extensive array of offers for larger companies further afield, ranging from Argos to EasyJet. The app, which also has a web version, offers deals that can be used either in-store or online.

OnTrees

For those who like to budget, OnTrees is a very useful app for keeping track of your money. It securely connects to your bank account, tracking your spending and allowing you to set budgets. Transactions are sorted into colour-coded categories, and numerous charts allow you to see what you are spending your money on and where funds could be saved. The only drawback is that OnTrees does not account for cash expenditures, by which many necessary purchases tend to be made.

mySupermarket

This app is essentially a simple shopping list, allowing you to quickly add items and cross them off once purchased. What makes it useful for money saving is its ability to compare prices on each of your items across eleven different supermarkets, including Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons and Aldi, to help you find the best available price. The software also alerts you when items are priced much cheaper than usual, offers saving suggestions, and allows you to set price alerts to ensure you never over- pay for items.