This past weekend, the University of St Andrews Polo Club hosted the 2016 University of St Andrews Charity Polo Tournament. The Errol Park Estate presented the prefect backdrop for the rather tipsy fun and festivities. Attendees embraced the garden party aesthetic despite the minor complications of weather. The event introduced the spring season, while embracing a more colourful lifestyle.

Though garden party attire granted an array of interpretations, a more classic style prevailed, with a display of pleats, box-silhouette tweed jackets, wayfarer sunglasses, cap sleeves, and floral appliques. More tactful attendees selected scrumptious cashmere sweaters, wraps, and scarves, while daring individuals embraced a more tropical translation. A less prominent but equally sensible selection, combined cream or white trousers and dark blazers with seasonal sweaters and printed blouses of varying neckline. Crepe and linen dresses in white and ivory conjured excitement for the summer season; eyelet fabrics and delicate lacework accompanying many dresses’ hemlines indicated a refreshing trend. Jumpsuits and sets were trendy, most notably a matching floral, pastel, skirted set and an all white, strapless, wide-legged jumpsuit. Patterned or palazzo trousers and dirndl skirts, characteristic of a fitted waistline and a full, wide skirt, were quite dominant.

The spectrum of outerwear paralleled the array of styles; for example attendees sported, double breasted coats, light denim jackets, casual blazers with welted pockets, black leather bombers, Barbour weather-jackets, caramel coloured woollens, and pastel tea-length coats. Patterns and prints added intrigue as paisleys, strips, and even jouy print set a standard. The garden party attire leaned for more colourful garbs of mint green, pale pink, powder blue, and vibrant red.

Photos: Sammi Ciardi
Photos: Sammi Ciardi

In observance with the festivities, hats and fascinators, including wide brimmed, cloche, and derby hats peppered the pitch-side. Though the sunshine made fleeting appearances, sunglasses certainly made statements; individuals embraced an array of styles, such as butterfly, pilot, round, retro, and semi-rimless. Other accessories proved positively functional such as blanket scarves and touches of fur, inclusive of fur collars and coats, illustrated fashionable practicality. Footwear generally complemented attendees’ outfits, irrespective of natural conditions. Suede ankle boots, Wellington boots, and smoking loafers were fit for event, while platform sandals, canvas wedges, and ankle wrap ballet flats were notably fashionable.

Seersucker proved popular among the gentlemen of the day, seersucker jackets and trousers in pastel panels were noted. Bright colours, evident in floral prints, lavender coloured shirts, and bright green trousers, illuminated the pitch-side. Herringbone and plaid were quite prevalent. The most notable outfit was a superior execution of the gentleman’s polo standard, combining a dark blue blazer and khaki pants. The individual boasted a light blue shirt printed with small purple flowers; his textured bowtie, round-framed sunglasses, and Prada shoes completed the look. Many individuals fashioned an eclectic array of pocket squares, even in pop pink. The gentlemen of the day also sported hats, including fedoras and panama hats.

Photos: Sammi Ciardi
Photos: Sammi Ciardi

The ladies and gentlemen attending the Polo set a spectacular, cheerful style. Embracing the nature of the event, attendees introduced bright and fitting fashions. Beverages and banter abound, the event was not only a sporting and style exhibition. Polo enthusiasts are left to eagerly await next year’s merriments.