St Andrews ranked best university in Scotland, says new guide

0
Students taking part in the pier walk
Students leave for the pier walk at 12pm from the Quad following 11am chapel services

The University of St Andrews is ranked top in Scotland and fifth in the UK, according to a new independent university guide.

St Andrews is the only Scottish university in the top ten in the Complete University Guide published today (Monday 25 April).

Acting Principal and Vice-Chancellor Professor Garry Taylor said: “The fact that St Andrews has retained its fifth place in the UK and top in Scotland is testament to the commitment of all my colleagues in the University who work tirelessly to ensure that the unique St Andrews student experience is not only maintained, but enhanced year on year.

“Our ambitious strategic plan for the next ten years will provide new student housing, new teaching spaces, new sports and music facilities, expanded library and study spaces, and investment in world-leading research that will ensure that we can continue to deliver research-led teaching.”

St Andrews is one of three Scottish universities in the top 30 – with Edinburgh ranked in 19th place and Glasgow at 29th.

The Complete University Guide 2017 assesses university performance based on ten measures: student satisfaction, research quality, research intensity, entry standards, student/staff ratio; spending on academic services; spending on student facilities; good honours degrees achieved; graduate prospects and completion. The guide includes 127 institutions.

The subject tables are based on five measures: student satisfaction, research quality, research intensity, entry standards and graduate prospects. The tables include 136 universities, university colleges and specialist higher education institutions.