On The Rocks Closing Event wraps up another fantastic year

0
Photo: On The Rocks
Photo: On The Rocks
Photo: On The Rocks

After an excellent week of art, photography, film, theatre, dance, music and comedy, the On The Rocks closing reception was a wonderful way to experience the diversity of creative talent in St Andrews. The event was organised by Lightbox Creative and the Lumsden Club and featured a variety of excellent entertainment.

On arrival, guests were offered a complimentary glass of fizz. In addition to this, the Lightbox Mojito, The Lumsden and the On the Rocks cocktails were available to purchase at the bar. The Byre Theatre was a lovely venue for this event. There was a relaxed atmosphere, and the space looked beautiful. At the start of the evening, talented student musicians Amy Hill and Chris Andrews played acoustic sets in the bar area.

Lightbox Creative had a variety of photographs on display, and second year Art History student Valeria Duca exhibited excellent oil paintings of dancers. Miss Duca has been painting for around nine years, and has had her work shown at the prestigious Venice Biennale, as well as numerous other exhibitions. The artist is active in promoting the arts in St Andrews and recently started a petition to create an art space in St Andrews which was signed by over 500 people.

Around an hour into the event, the entertainment moved to the main auditorium. There were performances from Music is Love musicians, It’s a Wise Child, Blind Mirth and the Blue Angels dance team. This was great as it showcased a wide variety of acts, with music, comedy and dance being shown.

Tiffany Black and Amy Hill from Music is Love performed songs together including Amazing Grace, Joan Baez’s Silver Dagger and Robyn’s Dancing on My Own. Miss Hill also sang a touching original song.

After the music, there was storytelling from It’s a Wise Child and comedy by Blind Mirth. Madeleine Inskeep told a hilarious anecdote in Wise Child Live, before Blind Mirth took to the stage to perform witty improvised comedy.

The last act of the evening was the Blue Angels Dance Team, who performed a wide variety of impressive routines. Their high-energy dances were very entertaining and had the audience captivated.

The closing reception was definitely a triumph, and succeeded in presenting acts of a very high calibre. By combining art, photography, music, comedy, and dance, there was truly something for everybody, and it meant that the event was representative of the variety of events that have been shown over the course of On The Rocks this week. The evening showed the amazing diversity of talent in the student body and was a great finale to On The Rocks 2016.