Mateo XC LadThis academic year has been highly successful for our club; beginning with the ‘Chariots of Fire’ 5K race that we hosted on West Sands in first semester, drawing competitors from the home student population, as well as students from Dundee, Aberdeen, and Heriot Watt.
Throughout the year we have seen great success from the club on both a local, national and international level, from Matt O’Connor breaking the St Andrews Parkrun record and gaining a bronze medal at the Scottish Student Sport 10K Championships (at which the men’s team won bronze, and women’s silver), to Andrew Mitchell, Chloe Martin and Daniel Lynch getting selected to represent Scottish Universities in Celtic International after getting medals in the Scottish Student Sport Track & Field Championships.
Not to forget the great successes of Angela Richardson, who won the Scottish Cross Country Grand Prix, came 2nd at the Scottish Universities Cross Country Championships, and was selected for Scottish Universities Team for the Edinburgh International, where she finished 5th overall and 1st student. She also won Bronze at the East Districts, and represented Scotland East at the Inter-Counties Championships.
As a first year myself, being part of the club has been amazing. Through training I have been able to massively improve my fitness and times, while jointly with the great socials, made a fantastic group of friends. I’d recommend anyone with even the slightest interest in long distance running to get involved – I find that doing things like interval training and running long distances always seems easier when you’re with other people, and often it helps motivate me to do exercise when normally I wouldn’t bother.
While we’ll be sad to say goodbye to our members in their final year, the club and newly elected committee are excited for what next academic year brings, and we hope to sustain and increase the triumphs we have experienced this year.
For more information regarding the club, visit crosscountry.saints-sport.com.