Embracing the tradition of British Music Festivals

0

While Britain has a notoriously good music scene, what makes it crème de la crème is its summer festival scene. While musicians are tending towards an electronic sound, the translation to live music is still drawing in heavy crowds keeping the festivals as popular as ever. When anyone mentions this summer phenomenon, Glastonbury seems to pop to mind immediately and with Kanye headlining, it seems they will keep their BNOC status. With the reputation Glasto holds, it makes getting tickets even more difficult to come by than Christmas Ball tickets. However, if you want to venture down to the West Country, head to Barn On The Farm. BOTF is com-parable to Somersault, a mixture of outdoor pursuits and incredible headliners, think Oh Wonder, Jack Garratt, Frances, Honne and many more spine tingling acts. If you aren’t committed to the hangover adventure, head to Boardmasters, a festival advertised for surfers but stuffed with sun hunting teenagers. Their line up is fairly predictable with the likes of James Bay and Catfish and the Bottlemen, but with this idyllic location, it wouldn’t be the worst place to spend a summer weekend.

Photograph: Yui Mok/PA
Photograph: Yui Mok/PA

If rural locations aren’t for you, Parklife in Manchester is jam packed with a list musicians, from Jamie XX to the Chemical Brothers. Although this may not have the best reputation, it seems like they are making strides to improve with fierce competition against other big names. At £95 per ticket, this may not be in everyone’s price range but Lovebox is only £49 to see the wonders that are Major Lazor and LCD soundsystem; making that one of the most attractive (and affordable) festivals the capital has to offer. If you’re not down to get dirty but don’t fancy city life, V Fest may just be for you. Most visitors don’t camp but just spend the day’s boogying away to JB, Rihanna, David Guetta and all their pals. Not all festivals are merely for the music lovers, if spending your days in literary tents or seeing comedy stars, Latitude may instead be the place to be. Their incredible headliners include The Lumineers, Daughter, Oh Wonder etc. and so it seems you’ve got to head to Suffolk for the unmissable festival of the season.

Photograph: haileybaldwin/instagram
Photograph: haileybaldwin/instagram

I say that Britain rules the festival roost due its to copious weekends filled to the brim for music lovers and the aforementioned ones aren’t all there is on offer. Music may not be the main attraction yet there are a few who focus on the ‘vibe’ or target audience of their event. For those who don’t want to leave dear Scotland, head to T in the Park, but if you want to take your family with you, go along to Larmer Tree, a small festival designed for ”people of every age. For those who want to nestle in the hills with hundreds of students and be guaranteed a new cover photo, Green Man is for you. Conversely if you’re more into hiding from anyone you know, Rock Oyster festival is the best bet. While you won’t have heard of any of their headliners, the food is a real attraction. So there we have it, a measly look into what this summer has to offer. So take a break from that internship and treat yourself to 48 hours jam-packed with the joy that is welly clad music.