Concrete Catwalk: A White Out Event

0

This past Tuesday, Concrete Catwalk fashioned an event new to the St. Andrews student social circuit. The White Out event ushered in spring with a refreshingly pure palette, while encouraging attendees to express themselves through the selection of white garments. Individuals also utilized the opportunity to discuss Concrete Catwalk, and the potential of future events, with the committee members.

As a relatively small event, hosted at Mitchell’s Deli, unique and extraordinary outfits were keenly noted. Among the most memorable was a tea length linen dress of simple cut; the dress was paired with vibrant red espadrilles, an assortment of flowering hair adornments, and an amber, silver encrusted broach.  A full-skirted dress with an organza neckline in floral pique jacquard, paired with a vintage denim jacket delightfully stood out. The most outstanding dress frequenting the dance floor incorporated multiple captivating elements, including side cut outs, a lace overlay, and adventurous slits along the skirt. A number of jumpsuits caught the eye, though most notably a daring backless, halter romper and a retro-esque long sleeved pale pink set with deep red trim.

Photo by:  Lorelei Pfeffer
Photo by: Lorelei Pfeffer

From Coachella chic to borderline bridal, outfits reflected a vast array of interpretations on the theme: White Out. Fresh skater dresses and summer hemlines with thin straps and less lining introduced the notion of airy frocks to the season; such styles were sported with loose locks or wispy ponytails. Though simple white slip dresses proved popular and shift dresses with billowing sleeves were remarkably trendy, some attendees selected white sports wear, including Adidas t-shirts and platform track shoes. At an intersection between warm, sunny days and brisk evenings, individuals carefully selected outerwear complementary to the concept; denim jackets and white coats were most prevalent, though cream-colored fur coats and tasteful evening trench coats were most distinguished. Some individuals selected more professional looking attire, completed with white blazers and conservative blouses in faint prints of paisleys and geometrics. Two piece sets and crop top pairings were seemingly as common as loosely fitting shirts with simple denim and black trousers.

Photo by:  Lorelei Pfeffer
Photo by: Lorelei Pfeffer

Only slight variations of color were spotted; midnight black proved complementary to the abundance of white hues. Despite the consistency of color, the attire featured a lush mixture of texture. Laces dresses exemplified this dimension. Floral appliques and embroidery, in addition to a spectrum of fabrics added intrigue. A favorite embellished dress featured a simple turtleneck cut and sheer long sleeves with symmetric beadwork. Shoe selections provided no consistency, as loafers and boots were as frequent as heels and sandals. Carefully selected accessories, such as sparkling clutches and floral crowns, complemented many outfits. Fun lipstick choices, from classis red to bold violet, contrasted the sea of white.

The gentlemen of the evening set a standard uniform. White button downs, though similarly donned by some ladies of the event, paired with light denim and khakis. From suede loafers and flamboyant ties, to starched button downs and pressed pocket squares, some more dapper gentlemen selected sports coats in blues, grey, and even tweed. The most spirited gentleman sported a simple white t-shirt with white denim and timberland boots.

Followers of Concrete Catwalk’s work eagerly await more events as the transition from photography comes alive. The White Out event was a spectacular execution of a budding concept, allowing individuals to express their own style and embrace the coming season.