University announces £70 million accommodation plan

1
Photo: University of St Andrews
Photo: University of St Andrews
Photo: University of St Andrews

The University has announced a £70 million accommodation plan that will take the number of residential spaces provided by the University from 4000 to 4900.

The plans were confirmed in an email to students from the President of the Students’ Association, Pat Matthewson and the head of Residential Business Services, Ben Stuart.

“Expansions, new build, modernisation and basic improvement will take place at our residences throughout the town in a phased programme of works. Full details of the programme and how it might affect your residence follow at the foot of this message.

“The works will have a total price tag of £70 million, but will be funded by equity-release schemes with private sector partners.

“This will ensure that we do not have to divert scarce resources from our world-leading teaching and research to fund a longstanding commitment to provide additional student bedrooms.

“The University has worked closely with the Students’ Association to listen to student voices on accommodation and design an ambitious programme to meet some of the needs and preferences of our undergraduates and postgraduates.

“A range of rents will be available, and substantial bursary and support packages are in place to assist with costs.

“We recognise that finding suitable and affordable accommodation in St Andrews is perceived by some students to be a stressful challenge, when the reality is that there are often sufficient rooms and choices available.

“By publishing outline details of the Action Plan to expand and improve our student residences and the range and choice available, we hope to offer important reassurance to current and future students.

“The new build and improvement works will be carefully phased between now and September 2019 to avoid any shortages during decanting.

“We pledge to have close and continuing dialogue with students and staff about the programme in the weeks and months ahead.”

The plan will encompass building works and changes to many of the halls in St Andrews, including Fife Park, Agnes Blackadder Hall, Andrew Melville Hall and Albany Park, which will be fully or partially demolished in 2017.

Regarding Albany Park the email said, “Currently Albany Park is home to 333 students in a mix of postgraduate and undergraduate accommodation. It is likely to be demolished or partially demolished from June 2017.

“Construction will be in two phases with Phase 1 due to be completed by September 2018. Phase 2 is due for completion by September 2019. The new accommodation will be a mixture of standard and ensuite bedrooms in different configurations from studio to townhouses. Social spaces are planned within the Albany Park accommodation area.”

Other aspects of the plan include renovations that will take place to University Hall, reported on by The Saint earlier this year.

1. direct quotations, direct quotations everywhere… you could have just included the whole email in this article as well. what’s the point of this piece ? writing for the sake of it?