Trends to watch at London Fashion Week

1

From Jasper Conran to Alexander McQueen, designers presented their Autumn/Winter 2016-2017 collections at London Fashion Week.

Taking place from 18 February to 23 February, shows and presentations were held in various locations around London, including BFC Street Car Park, the Tate Britain, and The Vinyl Factory. This year’s principal sponsor was Sunglass Hut; in addition to TOPSHOP, Mercedes- Benz, and Maybelline New York. Amongst many suppliers, PROPERCORN offered their delectable popcorn and, Aggreko, their reliable power, while funding was made possible by the European Union, UK Trade & Investment, and the Mayor of London. It is no wonder that due to the work and generosity of all these great companies that London Fashion Week was a great success.

Many surprises were given to us during this bi-annual fashion showcase. For the first time in fifteen years, Sarah Burton, creative director at Alexander McQueen, decided to present the unique and intricate brand in London, rather than Paris. According to The Guardian, Burton was thirty eight weeks pregnant and did not wish to travel during that time. Her circumstances were a blessing in disguise, as the brand was not only showcased in the land of its nativity but at the Royal Horticultural Society, where Burton worked on her first Alexander McQueen show twenty years ago.

The catwalk was nothing short of romantic, as evidenced through its translucent and lace designs. The brand offered a pale colour palette, featuring pieces in white, black and light pink, and incorporated dreamy elements to its designs such as flowers and butterflies. If you want to look just as romantic as the models on the catwalk for this term’s remaining balls, I’d suggest wearing a loose fitting dress in the colour palette mentioned. A dress inspired by the same motifs is Needle & Thread’s Floral Tiered Embellished Dress for £285.00 on asos.com.

12837654_10207405607171119_197406118_o (1)
All illustrations by Nicole Slyusareva

Burberry’s runway was filled with ‘a patchwork of rich fabrics, textures and colours.’ The iconic British brand is offering plenty of outerwear for AW16-17 in various tartan prints (perfect for the St Andrews student, no?). Their Tartan Wool Double-Breasted Coat has a rustic feel to it, with its navy, burgundy, and military green tartan print.

12823193_10207405607051116_311497279_o (1)

If you’re a fan of tartan and are inspired by this season’s collection, consider purchasing a Checked Swing Coat with Wool from M&S Collection, which is currently on sale for £66.75. My personal favourite from Burberry’s AW16-17 collection is the Cashmere Military Coat in navy, ‘with a contrast Melton undercollar and domed brass buttons.’ This coat’s style is exceptional, but if you want your look to have a military aesthetic, you can find numerous selections on asos.com and at House of Fraser.

12334029_10207405607131118_774674512_o

It was also nice to see that London Natalie Correa runs down the hottest trends from the biggest fashion event in Britain right now Fashion Week gives fashion students the opportunity to present their work publicly. Graduate students from The London College of Fashion debuted their collections in front of London’s fashion leaders on the theme ‘the next generation of design.’

It is commendable of London Fashion Week to allow students to get their foot in their door and help fashion graduates make their dreams a reality.