The Brits: wildly successful or dreadfully predictable?

0

St Andrews may not be music central; even Wiley tried to run away. Therefore the news of the Brit’s may seem distant to our little bubble, but I press on. There were no real shockers this year, but Adele winning four awards and Jack Garratt picking up critics choice were among the more uneventful results. Coldplay managed to redeem themselves after the shambles that was the half time show; maybe it was the lack of Beyoncé stealing their limelight. They got everyone grooving in a Glastonbury style with their casual storytelling of drinking and drugs. Their staging was set beneath a sunset and reminiscent of a 19 year olds post gap year bedroom with flowers covering every surface; however there was just a surprising lack of wavy garms. Continuing with the outdoorsy vibe, Justin Bieber performed Love Yourself accompanied by James Bay while chilling by a campfire. The perfectly delightful performance literally set on fire as he bounced off to the killer track Sorry. His performance was stand out for the rest and exemplifies that when you’re young you can come back from anything, even if it’s crashing your car or almost getting deported. Compared to the crowds’ full knowledge of Bieber’s lyrics, Jess Glynne’s performance was slightly awkward, as she over estimated the audience’s familiarity with her music. Despite this, her upbeat pop is easy to like but just hard to love, something that became adamant during her performance that lacked energy. James Bay and Little Mix each had popular performances; potentially their combined quantity of hair may have a Samson-like source of power, which helps them to keep producing popular music.

Photo: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images
Photo: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images

While the source of their success is reasonably unknown, Adele’s was crystal clear with her performance of ‘When We Were Young’. The emotion she brought forward was heart wrenching, the breaks in her vocals were heartfelt and this honesty made us even more pleased when she picked up her multiple awards. While Adele is on way to becoming a music legend, there was a huge commemoration performance for the icon that is David Bowie. Lorde’s tribute has been received far more positively than Lady Gaga’s clumsy performance, but the safe commemoration didn’t quite encapsulate the influence of Bowie and his music. While this should have been the most memorable performance of the show, somehow Rihanna managed to steal the attention with her bizarre collaboration with Drake.

Photo: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images
Photo: Dave J Hogan/Getty Images

After missing the Grammy’s, it was presumed that she would pull out all the stops to make up for her absence here. Maybe she pulled out too many stops, as the performance was far too elaborate. To up her show, Drake featured, but their previous chemistry appears to have gone and was replaced with hallucinogenic flashing lights. The results of the awards didn’t give much to talk about but from watching the performances it seems we can’t always predict every aspect of the show. This measly little summary certainly can’t encapsulate the excitement that surrounds the awards so definitely try and catch it yourself.