St Andrews students in Brussels safe and well following attacks

0

A group of St Andrews students visiting Brussels are safe and well, following the bombings that took place in the city earlier today.

The students, who were travelling as part of the St Andrews Conservative and Unionist Association, were visiting Ian Duncan MEP.

Mr Duncan tweeted earlier today saying, “Team safe in #EuroParl. Visitor groups, St Andrews students & Scottish Conservative Women’s Council, safe in hotel.”

A post on the Conservative Future Scotland Facebook page also said, “The members from St Andrews and Conservative Women’s Scottish Council are all safe and accounted for in Brussels.

“The group has been in regular contact with Ian Duncan’s office and the University of St Andrews.”

James Bundy, a student in Brussels on the trip, speaking to The Saint said, “Everyone is currently just in our hotel rooms waiting for updates from the Belgian authorities.

“I was in my hotel room when the attacks happened so only found out through the news and the text messages I received from friends asking if I was okay.

“I’ve not spoke to everyone on the trip regarding their experience but we’ve been in contact to ensure everyone is safe.”

The attacks on Brussels’ Zaventem airport and its Maelbeek metro station earlier today have killed at least 31 people and left dozens more injured.

Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said that the latest attacks were “blind, violent and cowardly”, going on to add: “This is a day of tragedy, a black day… I would like to call on everyone to show calmness and solidarity”.