Editor’s Top Picks for On the Rocks

0

Fri 1st

WOMEN IN CONFLICT

WOMEN FOR WOMEN | ARTS LECTURE THEATRE | 19.00-21.00 | free

St Andrews’ Women for Women International Society invites you to ‘Women in Conflict,’ a showcase of art and poetry. The exhibition consists of student photography, painting, sculpture, poetry and more based on the artists’ interpretations of the theme ‘Women in Conflict’. We will also be collecting donations, which go towards sponsoring women in post-conflict countries.

Sat 2nd

ST.ANDREWS NIGHT LIVE

comedy soc | barron theatre | 21.00 | £5

Inspired by Saturday Night Live, we bring you St Andrews Night live, a night with a slightly altered name, but (hopefully) similarly hilarious content. Bringing together the members of the comedy society, through sketch, improv and stand up we’ll be tackling the deepest issues, like why Dervish only delivers on foot, and how come this sentence: ‘A man, a plan, a canal: Panama’ is the same backwards (ha you just checked). Hosted by a mystery St. Andrews B-NOC, bring your gigglez, your pals and your pastrami (or just popcorn, but totally up to you) for a night you might not remember, but definitely won’t forget.

Sun 3rd

CLOTH

eve klein & sons | barron | 16.00 | free

What happens in beds? ‘Cloth’ is an exploration of bed sheets and what they can suggest – childhood, dreams, intimacy, the human body, relationships…A playful, intimate, honest, cozy half hour. A solo physical theatre piece devised and performed by Edinburgh-based one person theatre collective, Eve Klein & Sons.

Mon 4th

HOT MESS

sonder theatre | lizard lounge | 19.00 | £6

In Hot Mess, twins Polo and Twitch were born with only one heart between them: where Polo is not looking to be loved, Twitch can do nothing but. A dark and lyrical tale about friendship, loss and loneliness. Taking place in the venue everyone loves to hate, this will be The Lizard’s first theatrical

event.

Tues 5th

ANIMAL FARM

mermaids | balgove larder | 18.00 | £15 show & dinner

Come along to Balgove Larder for a theatrical experience like no other. Hosted in the Steak Barn, this is more than just a show. Watch as the downtrodden beasts of Manor Farm oust the drunken farmer, only to be subject to the pigs who succumb to the temptations of privilege and power. With dinner included, this is an event that is a feast for the eyes, as well as the stomach. You don’t want to miss it.

Weds 6th

HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH

just so musical theatre society|byre theatre | 19.30 | £8

Three nights. Three different Hedwigs. Hedwig and the Angry Inch will be performing LIVE on The Byre Mainstage. Come see the internationally ignored song stylist herself as she tells her story about what it’s like to find yourself before the fall of the Berlin Wall and how to love yourself after. With three completely unique performances, this timeless rock goddess teaches us that sometimes in order to walk away, you’ve got to leave something behind.

Chris Miller as Hedwig
Chris Miller as Hedwig

Thurs 7th

THE PHRASE

barron theatre | 18.00 & 21.00 | £5

In writing, in music and in dance, the phrase represents the smallest complete idea. It is made up of smaller parts and is itself one small part of a much larger whole, yet it still exists on its own. ‘The Phrase’ is a dance show presenting several original pieces of choreography across a variety of styles, all stemming from this concept and coming together to create a complete whole.

Fri 8th

CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP

old union cafe | 15.00 | free

Over the four sessions we will consider writing creatively in different genres, including historical fiction, thriller and horror writing, young adult, and creative nonfiction. We will explore how to construct and write convincingly for the appropriate world and genre.

Sat 9th

OTR CLOSING RECEPTION

byre theatre | 19.30-23.00 | £10/£8 (OTR performers)

The Lumsden Club and Lightbox are happy to present the closing night event of On The Rocks! A cocktail party at The Byre will celebrate all the talents of St Andrews students with a showcase of various acts – including dance, comedy and music – and photography and literature exhibitions by

Lightbox. With a glass of fizz on arrival, it’ll be a great way to start your night!

Sun 10th

BACH & THE STILE ANTICO LAUNCH

st salvator’s chapel choir | sallies chapel | 19.30 | free

Launching their new CD, ‘Bach and the Stile Antico’, St Salvator’s Chapel Choir are joined by Scotland’s pre-professional early music ensemble the Kellie Consort and by members of the Fitzwilliam String Quartet in a complete performance of Bach’s great Mass in B Minor. Entrance is free with a copy of the CD available at a special introductory price during and after the performance.