Cromars has been awarded the prize of top takeaway in Scotland at the Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip shop of the Year awards ceremony.

The restaurant was also up against nine other finalists from across the UK to try and win the national award as the best in the UK. However, it lost to Simpons Fish and Chips from Cheltenham.

The winners of the annual Seafish Authority Awards were announced at a ceremony at London’s Lancaster Hotel on Wednesday 20 January.

“It’s the one everyone wants to win, the big one that counts the most,” owner Colin Cromar told The Courier.

Referring to award they did win Mr Cromar also said “It’s very much a team effort for and I want to thank my staff who put the hard work and dedication into Cromars every day.”

“It’s great for the whole area and we do benefit enormously from the cosmopolitan feel St Andrews has with so many visitors and people staying here from all over the world,” he noted.

“I think many of the restaurants and artisan suppliers here are aware that we have a real opportunity to shine, but we have to keep standards high.”

Staff from Cromars also gave a special presentation on the business to the judging panel on 19 January ahead of the ceremony.