Balancing The Account By Hand
Photo courtesy of SeniorLiving.org

On February 29th, the Lumsden Club will provide St Andrews students with the opportunity to gain insight into the leading roles of six businesswomen from around the world at its Winning Women Conference.

The evening will start with a wine reception where attendees will be able to connect with speakers, as well as representatives from RBS, Deloitte, Allen & Overy.  Afterwards, attendees can network in a discussion moderated by Lotta Malm-Hallqvist, President Global CGO of Cheil Worldwide.

Event organizer Evangeline Tawil said this is “a unique aspect of the conference,” as the Lumsden Club “wanted to really have the speakers interact with each other rather than each one individually answering each question.”

The focus of the panel will be how to boost your professional career, so if you are looking for a spring break insight, a full time internship or an undergraduate job, this might prove helpful. Another keystone of the conference will be the potential importance of an MBA and the use of social media as a way to make oneself more attractive for prospective employees. Issues such as the need for quotas in organisations and matters linked to multinationals will be approached, too, with an special emphasis placed on ethics. The underlying topic, recurrent in all the different scopes up for discussion, is women’s role in business.

Following the debate, there will be an open-floor session that is ideal for outlining important questions and standing out from the crowd by pinpointing interesting ideas.

In the weeks leading up to the conference, the Lumsden Club has begun announcing its speakers. They belong to a wide range of industries, including advertising, accounting, finance and pharmaceutical.

The first speaker is Marisa Drew, Co-Head of the EMEA Investment Banking and Capital Markets (IBCM) Division at Credit Suisse and recognized by the BBC as one of the Most Powerful Women in Britain.

Suzi Woolfson, the National Head of Private Business for PWC, which entails dealing with privately owned businesses and stakeholders, is another speaker.

Joining Ms Drew and Ms Woolfson is Katie Murray, Director of Finance at the Royal Bank of Scotland, who possesses great knowledge in international affairs related to financial services and reporting. She comes all the way from Johannesburg, South Africa, where she served as Finance Director of Emerging Markets at Old Mutual Life Assurance Company Limited.

Tickets will be sold via Tilt for £10 on the 18th of February at 7 p.m. The link and more information will be shared through Facebook.