Rifle Club impress in recent competition

0

IMG_4913This semester has already been a success for one of the university’s most unique sports clubs. The University of St. Andrews Rifle Club hosted Robert Gordon University and the universities of Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Edinburgh at the end of January. They nearly managed an impressive clean sweep in all of the competitions they participated in, which included Individual, Pair, Ladies, and Team categories.

Despite not achieving a rare clean sweep, the team is still very pleased with their results. Rory McAlpine and Kathyrn Williamson secured second and third place respectively in the Class A individual. The St Andrews team also had three competitiors in both the Class B Individual section and in the Novice class. Ewan Scougall came first, Megan Auld second and Yang Jing fourth in Class B. We also won in the novice category, with Tom Williams first, Katherine Nevin second and Gavrilo Stajkovac fifth.

Fourth year member Katherine Johnson was thrilled with the team’s performance. “It was an incredibly successful and entertaining weekend. I haven’t seen a set of results this impressive in my three and a half years here!”

This Grand Prix was part of the Scottish Smallbore League, a competition where each university holds its own weekend-long tournament. The most recent Grand Prix took place on Saturday 13 February in Glasgow, where the Saints were ultimately successful, securing a pair of second place finishes. Rory McAlpine was the star of the weekend, coming first in the individual classification. Further down the line, the club can look forward to the outdoor championships and potentially competing in the BUCS finals in Sheffield.

Outside of competitive competitions, the St. Andrews Rifle Club plans to travel to the Highlands in April to go on a big bore shooting excursion, something that will be enjoyable for all those involved and a great way to further integrate with the other club members. This semester promises to be an exciting one for the sharp shooters at the Rifle Club.

The club is still open to interested shooters, at both all levels. Contact the club through Facebook or via email with rifle@saints-sport.com.