Kenly wind farm build delay raises concerns

0
Photo: Charles Cook

It has been more than two years since the University obtained permission to build six 328ft turbines on farmland just six miles outside of town.

However, the University is still in discussion with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) over how to avoid the blades affecting the nearby radar station at Leuchars.

A spokesperson for the University stated that the purpose of developing the Kenly windfarm is “the correct approach in order to avoid long term price volatility of fossil fuels, safeguard jobs locally and to make a step change in reducing carbon emissions.”

However, local councillors have denied the application to begin preparatory work, such as construction of access roads to Kenly Farm, through amendment of a condition requiring that a radar mitigation scheme is approved first.

St Andrews councillor Brian Thomson, when commenting on the amendment, said he feared extensive ground works could begin but the windfarm might never be built.

He said: “There’s a risk radar mitigation may not be approved and there is a lot of concern locally about the application.”

A University spokesperson said: “We will continue to work towards a radar solution and remain fully committed to this important project which will help us protect up to 120 Fife jobs.”