The Eden Mill is featured in a new Scottish tourist trail showcasing the country’s best gin distilleries and bars that has been launched in a bid to capitalise on renewed interest in the spirit.

The spirit is worth £1.76 billion to the UK economy and about 70 per cent of it is produced in Scotland.

The Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA) hope the new Scotland Gin Trail could boost the industry’s fortunes further.

It also features distilleries as far afield as Shetland, Moray and Perthshire as well as specialist bars in the Central Belt.

Organisers of the gin map hope the new initiative can mirror the success of the well-established whisky trails in Scotland.

Last year research revealed that there were around 1.5 million visits to Scotch whisky distillery visitor centres in 2014.

They spent a total of almost £50m on tours and in their shops and cafes – up from £27 million in 2010.

Elizabeth Truss, the UK government’s  Environment  Secretary,  has revealed ambitions for UK gin exports to rival the success of whisky, which reached £4 billion last year.

She said: “There has never been a more exciting time for the industry, with the UK being the biggest exporter of gin in the world, selling enough to make 1.6 billion gin and tonics.

“I want to the harness the ambition of our Scottish gin-trepreneurs, helping them to grow the UK’s reputation for quality gin both here and abroad.

“I want to see it up there with Scotch whisky in terms of global sales.”

Mike Beale, chief executive of the WSTA, said: “This is a hugely exciting time for everyone involved in the UK gin industry and our gin trail is the start of a fascinating venture to share the origins, art and innovations involved in producing this Great British spirit.

“British gin has a strong, vibrant history.

“By publishing the gin trail map we hope to mark its renaissance and ensure its future as a quintessentially British, internationally spirit.”

The “hard work and ingenuity” of the distillers has also been praised by Scottish Secretary David Mundell.

“Our distillers are creating some unique gins by experimenting with techniques from the whisky industry and using new blends of local botanicals.

“It is really exciting to see such innovation within our great tradition of gin distilling,” he added.

Other locations include Gordon Castle, Fochabers, Moray and Dunnet Bay Distillery, Caithness.