From Strength to Strength – A Basketball review

0

BBALLSLast year was one of transition for basketball in St Andrews – an influx of Freshers into both the Men’s and Women’s Teams meant that a rebuilding process was called for, but both managed their own fair share of success in the 2014-2015 season.

Both teams came into this season looking to perform even better, and the first semester showed that their dedication paid off – the Women’s team won all but one of their games in the BUCS League and had 5 wins & 5 losses in the National League to stand in the middle of the table, an impressive feat following promotion to the League this season. This promotion was also an important factor in why the team was chosen by the Athletic Union to be promoted to a Performance Team last year.

With the New Year came the new challenge of the Scottish Cup Final, a match which had been eagerly anticipated as a jump start to their 2016. The journey to Glasgow to face Edinburgh University’s 1st Team was an experience savoured by the whole team, and they were supported by a large contingent of the Athletic Union staff. The match did not go in their favour, with the team finishing on 30 points to Edinburgh’s 77. The team were also chosen to play at the official opening ceremony of the new Sports Centre in front of a capacity crowd in a top-of-the-table clash against co-league leaders Robert Gordon University. Their 51-49 victory means that they are almost guaranteed to win the league.

The Men’s team made a much improved start compared to the previous year, holding strong positions in both their BUCS and local Tayside and Fife Leagues. Since their return for the second semester, the team has achieved an impressive success rate, including an impressive 90-54 victory over Dunfermline Reign. With these wins under their belt, the team can only look forward to try and maintain this success as they close the season out, starting with the Semi-Finals of the BUCS Cup

This season’s newest addition to the Basketball Club, the Men’s Second Team, also proved themselves a force to be reckoned with at the Scottish Student Sport inaugural Tayside and Fife Regional Development competition, finishing with an undefeated 5-0 record in their first ever competitive games and tournament. With the chance of many members of the 1st Team graduating or taking Year Abroad placements, this success bodes well for the future of the club.

Basketball’s Outreach Programme has also become a key part of the Club’s agenda. With coaching sessions taken by club members to local schools including Madras College and St Leonard’s, the aim is to both increase public interest in the sport and give back to the local community. With basketball being as popular as it is in Scotland and with the number of clubs growing each year, our involvement in the community can hopefully lead to greater participation in the St Andrews area and even the creation of a local non-university team.