2016 is set to be a cracking year for music, with various huge artists planning album releases and comebacks; the battle for fame is increasingly tough. Despite the competition, a new squad is breaking onto the scene in full force with original sounds and high anticipation surrounding them. These 11 artists appear to be the cream of the crop, expect them to make an immense impact in music this year.

Garratt
Photo by Daniel Harris, Gaurdian

Jack Garratt

Garratt is the ginger bearded, ultra talented 24 year-old ‘hipster’ who is taking over the radio waves. Before releasing his first album, he was already selling out shows and is winner of the Critic’s Choice award 2016. While the critics were not immediately kind, Garratt’s unpredictable style keeps everyone listening. It’s near impossible to compare him to others, he’s as similar to James Bay as he is to Disclosure but this magic combination of snappy guitar riffs and sultry sensuality gives us great hope for his future.

Unmissable track(s): Worry, Weathered, Breathe Life (The list goes on)

Compared to: Jesse Ware, Honne, James Bay, Disclosure

Chance of Fame 10/10

Izzy Bizu

Izzy Bizu’s soulful silky vocals and invigorating beats are bringing something incredibly fresh to the table. Scouted at an open-mic night, she had a whirlwind rise to fame, not only was her EP ‘Coolbeanz’ an instant hit, she also supported Sam Smith on tour and starred on the BBC’s segment at Glastonbury. Reigning from a soul-jazz-funk background, Bizu is truly unique and after being nominated for the Brit’s Critics choice award, 2016 really could be the year for fame. Expect serious festival appearances as her smooth revitalizing sound has a certain summery ring to it.

Unmissable track: Diamond

Compared to: James Hersey, Lianne La Havas

Chance of Fame: 9/10

Caravan Palace

Mix together Retro rhythms and futuristic melodies and you get Caravan Palace. This Paris based seven-piece band picked up fame in mainland Europe in 2008 with their self-titled album, they’ve seriously shaken up attention since then featuring on the Jonathan Ross show and Later With Jools at the end of 2015 with their album < I°_°I >. They have set themselves aside from similar artists by exploiting gramophone filters which gives nostalgic 1920’s vibes. Their brass filed, percussion-laden sound challenges you to keep your feet still and with electro-swing currently hitting the club scene hard, they could really make a name for themselves.

Unmissable track: Lone Digger

Compared to: Yolanda Be Cool, Parov Stelar

Chance of Fame: 8/10

DNCE

Joe Jonas is back (without his brothers) to try and take on the pop world with his new boy band DNCE. This American group formed in 2015 and describe themselves as ‘Your new favourite band’, which is highly unlikely considering their irritating energy and honestly horrific lyrics. Take “When you’re standing there in your underwear and my t-shirt from the night before, With your messed up hair and your feet still bare, Would you mind closing the bedroom door?” it gets worse. From listening to their debut single “Cake By The Ocean”, it’s clear their only chance of success is due to the former Disney star fronting the band.

Unmissable track: None of them

Compared to: The Jonas Brothers

Chance of Fame: 7/10

The Beach

Zane Lowe brought this Clapham based singer-songwriter’s music fame when claiming it to be the ‘Next Hype’. The Beach’s sound is intensely intimate and troubadour-esque while being laced with quavering vocals, this ambiguous vibe is what everyone is raving about. Their Facebook doesn’t really solve their mystery, it simply states that jumping in headfirst, allows your imagination to run its full course. A prime example of this is their debut single, ‘Thieves’ with its ever-mounting emotion. After supporting artists such as Of Monsters and Men, Kodaline and Seafret, The Beach seems to be leaping from strength to strength with raw and heartfelt music, which keeps drawing in the listeners. Fun fact, The Beach literally jump started his career when he kicked a football into his future producers back garden.

Unmissable track: Thieves

Compared to: Hozier, Rhodes, Tom Odell

Chance of Fame: 6/10

Dua Lipa

Breezy, effortlessly poppy singer-songwriter Dua Lipa is back in force with her highly anticipated single ‘Be The One’, with a new hypnotic sound, this track is standing out against the crowd. Although she has been closely compared to other British female artists (Florence Welch, Lily Allen) her dynamically smoky voice and dark pop feels have been bringing in serious attention such as being nominated for BBC sound of 2016. While Dua Lipa is forced onto our radar, she brings a great vibe to daytime radio, a real breath of fresh pop air.

Unmissable track: New Love

Compared to: Lana Del Ray (due to sharing a manager), Nelly Furtado

Chance of Fame: 7/10

The Lake Poets

Delicate vocals, melancholy instrumentals and tear jerking vocals are what identify the ethereal music of Martin Longstaff (aka. The Lake Poets). His latest album, produced in Nashville by old friend Dave Stewart, stands on Longstaff’s intensely personal song writing and tenderly beautiful melodies. Growing up in Sunderland he draws influence from the miner’s strikes and his Geordie accent is clear in his music. With the world embracing folk music, The Lake Poets with their atmospheric fiddles and captivating lyrics, could really make an impact, certainly fitting into the most anticipated category.

Unmissable track: Your Face

Compared to: Passenger, Daughter, Stu Larsen

Chance of Fame: 6/10

The Lake Poets, aka Martin Longstaff
Photo, The Gaurdian

Loyle Carner

Loyle Carner’s music can only be described as fine tuned grime, influenced by rap with scatterings of his personal life. He leaves space for your empathy as he embraces confronting his biggest issues, family and dealing with adulthood. Carner manages to pen honest music yet without creating a gloomy vibe. “Everybody says I’m fuckin’ sad/ Of course I’m fuckin’ sad, I miss my fuckin’ dad”. Frequently compared with Little Simz, this pair has been paving a name for British rap worldwide. With his jazzy instrumentals, pauses filled with street side sounds and rolling percussion, Carner has really got his own feel, which has a welcome place in the UK rap scene and beyond.

Unmissable track: Ain’t Nothing Changed

Compared to: Raury, Chance the Rapper, Little Simz

Chance of Fame: 8/10

NAO

Soulful and experimental, Nao is bringing crisp energy to the R&B charts due to her funky feel. Her voice gives no hints of her London upbringing; it’s quirky and reminiscent of an old school jazz singer (She trained in jazz singing). Many tip Nao to just guest on house tracks however she seems to have more talent than that. Who one else balances their music being both sensual whilst also head banging?

Unmissable track: Bad Blood

Compared to: Kelis, FKA twigs

Chance of fame: 8/10

Viola Beach

British indie-pop band Viola Beach are slowly making a name for themselves, despite not being particularly original, there is something about them, whether it’s their surging melodies, luscious intensity or stirring summer feel, you can’t help but feel effortlessly good listening to them. Their music is smoothly finished; “Swings & Waterslides” was a perfectly polished debut and they have had a great start to their career and since working with Ian Grimble (communion legend) we can only expect great things from Viola Beach.

Unmissable track: Cherry Vimto

Compared to: Eliza and the Bear, The 1975, The Kooks

Chance of Fame: 7/10

Jake Isaac

Isaac isn’t particularly new to the scene but he is such a rarity with his soulful yet refined voice, and his music is appetizingly authentic. Elton John tips this south-Londoner for serious success as he has signed him on his label, Rocket Records. Utilising bass, drums and keys, Isaac crafts all pleasing albums, which seem to touch on the full spectrum of genres. His diversity, on-stage swagger and natural charm is luring in the masses and he may well become the big obsession of 2016.

Unmissable track: Fool For You

Compared to: Bears Den, Matt Corby, Ben Howard, George Ezra

Chance of Fame: 7/10