Whether this is your first time renting privately or you’re a seasoned pro, The Saint hopes this guide to St Andrews’ letting agencies helps you in your search for the perfect flat.
Typically, the student letting process begins with an agency releasing a list of available student properties or emailing students who have declared their housing preferences prior. Groups of potential tenants choose properties they are interested in and arrange a viewing with the current tenants. After viewing the property, students submit an application that includes a wardennial or landlord reference, a personal reference and a parental guarantee. Interviews with the letting agencies may be arranged at this point. If the application is successful, students will begin the renting process by signing a contract and submitting a deposit. The letting process is largely the same for these ten St Andrews agencies, but for specifics make sure to check below.
List release date: can register details beginning Nov. 23; list is emailed out end of January
- To register your details, email Alba Residential at email@example.com.
- Once the list is released, secure a viewing by calling or visiting the office.
- Alba carries out 5 viewing slots per property.
For more information, visit albastandrews.co.uk.
Bradburne & Co
List release date: February 3rd
Requirements: application form, current landlord/warden reference, character reference, proof of current address, copy of matriculation card and copy of ID
- The list of properties includes open viewing dates and times.
- Once you view a property, you must send in an application by the closing date listed.
For more information, visit bradburne.co.uk/lettings/student-lettings/.
List release date: January 13th
- To begin the process, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the size of property you are looking for and your budget.
- Delmor will email you with suitable properties and the application process after the list is compiled.
For more information, visit delmor.co.uk/searchl.htm.
List release date: February 2nd
Requirements: application form, university/landlord reference and guarantor form
- Select a property from the Eve Brown online student letting list.
- Set up a viewing with the current tenants.
- Fill out the student application form available on the website.
- Eve Brown will offer interviews to a maximum of three groups per property.
For more information, visit evebrown.co.uk/student-letting.html.
List release date: email applications open in January 2016 and close February 5th
Requirements: application form, landlord/warden reference, personal reference
- The group’s lead tenant should email the following information to email@example.com:
- Name of group members, identifying lead tenant
- Size of property you are seeking, as well as requirements for cost, location, etc.
- Current year of study of each member of the group
- Previous rental experience for each member of the group
- Group members’ employment experience, including volunteer work or internships
- Make sure to indicate to which email address Inchdairnie should send correspondence.
- If your application is successful, Inchdairnie will send you a list of available properties and information on how to arrange viewings.
- After viewing properties, contact the office to arrange an interview. Be sure to bring a completed application form with you.
- Your group can only apply for one property, and Inchdairnie only carries out three interviews per property.
For more information, visit standrewsletting.com/student/.
Lawson & Thompson Ltd
List release date: January 27
Requirements: application, landlord/warden reference, parental guarantor letter, copy of matriculation card
- Once the list is released, email a completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can apply to view up to two properties.
- After Lawson & Thompson receives 20 applications for a specific property, it will select 5 groups at random and offer them a viewing appointment. This appointment cannot be changed, and all tenants must attend.
- You must email Lawson & Thompson within 24 hours if you would like to take the property.
For more information, visit lawsonthompson.co.uk/student-letting.
List release date: February 1st
Requirements: application form, parental guarantor, landlord/warden reference, character reference, ID
- Once the list is released, Rollos asks that you visit your desired property and arrange a viewing with the current tenants.
- After viewing the property, fill out an application form, and make sure to also include a second choice property.
For more information, visit http://www.rollos.co.uk/Letting-Agents.
List release date: rolling out properties from November 2015 until summer 2016
Requirements: application form, landlord/warden reference, color photocopy of matriculation card
- Rather than releasing a list of properties on one date, Stonehouse updates its list almost daily. To view the list, visit the Stonehouse office at 110 South Street.
- Properties will be available for viewing on specific days of the week, and all tenants must attend viewings.
- Each group can attend a maximum of three viewings.
- To apply for a property after viewing, visit the Stonehouse office and complete an application form.
- Submit required reference and ID within 48 hours of applying.
- Applications are taken on a first come first serve basis. Once a property has been applied for, Stonehouse does not accept other applications unless references are not received in time.
For more information, visit stonehouseproperty.co.uk/PropertySearch.
List release date: January 28
Requirements: application form, personal reference, landlord/warden reference, photo ID, proof of current address, parental guarantor form
- Once the list is released, viewing requests must be submitted by email.
- Applications/documentation will not be accepted until after an official viewing has been arranged and attended with someone from Thorntons.
- After viewing a property, students wishing to apply must submit an application form that can be found online once the list is released.
- Applications will be accepted at the discretion of the landlords, not on a first come first serve basis.
For more information, visit thorntons-property.co.uk/lettings/.
Town & Gown
List release date: January 14th (contact Town & Gown for the list)
Requirements: landlord/warden reference, personal reference, parental guarantee, copy of matriculation card
- To arrange a viewing, email Town and Gown a completed application form and details of the property/ies you would like to view.
- Town and Gown will send you the contact information of the current tenants so you can arrange a viewing with them.
- If you would like to take a property, email Town and Gown to confirm, then telephone.
- If your application is successful, you will need to arrange a meeting within the next seven days to discuss the property and your tenancy. During this meeting, you will receive lease documents.
- After another seven days, arrange a second meeting to turn in your papers.
For more information, visit townandgownletting.co.uk/how-to-apply-for-a-town-and-gown-property/.
Don’t forget to visit The Saint’s 2015 Housing Guide for more information on the various neighborhoods in St Andrews.