St Andrews to share in £4 million research grant

0
2

Scientists at the Universities of St Andrews are to share a £4 million research grant to study sensor systems research, along with three other universities.

The Science of Sensor Systems Software (S4) project, which also includes the University of Liverpool, University of Glasgow and Imperial College London, will bring together expertise across computing, engineering, and mathematics with a range of private and public sector partners.

It is hoped that the funding will help improve sensor systems used in areas such as autonomous driving and air quality monitoring.

The project, supported by a grant of almost £4.2 million from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), will run until 2021.

Professor Simon Dobson will lead St Andrews’ contribution to the project which will be led by Professor Muffy Calder, Professor of Formal Methods in Computing Science and head of the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Glasgow. They will also be joined by Professor Michael Fisher at Liverpool and Professor Julie McCann at Imperial College.

Professor Calder told The Daily Record: “We’re pleased and proud to have won the backing of EPSRC through their Programme Grant scheme for this very exciting project.

“Although sensors are becoming ever more commonplace in all kinds of devices around us and in our everyday lives, sensors themselves and the environments in which they operate are very uncertain: we don’t have a unifying science to ensure that the systems and the information they provide is resilient, responsive, reliable and robust.