Photo: RAG Week
Photo: RAG Week

Coming on the heels of Refreshers Week, RAG Week is the Charities Campaign’s magnum opus. Over the course of seven days, a number of societies will be offering events to suit all tastes, from hiking to karaoke to an art exhibition. The Charities Campaign itself has organised a slew of headliners to take centre stage in Club 601, each with the goal of living up to the week’s name: Raising And Giving.

Saturday 30 January

Refreshers and RAG Week will collide in Club 601 for the first official RAG Week event: Big Narstie and Chuck Inglish, two superstars, are lending their talent to St Andrews for one of the biggest nights of the week. The RAG Launch Party, as a headlining event, shouldn’t be missed.

Sunday 31 January

From 11am to the early evening, the Fine Food and Dining Society’s Fife Food Fest is set to occupy Younger Hall with a variety of food stalls, giving us cakes, venison, coffee, and more delicious treats. Anyone who can spare even just a half hour will be rewarded with something sweet.

Also on Sunday: The RAG Pub Quiz and Comedy Night, the latter being presented by Comedy Soc, Blind Mirth and the St Andrews Revue.

Monday 1 February

Monday, a RAG-themed Ceilidh will occupy Club 601. Although Mondays are typically quiet, an evening of Scottish dancing could rival the Vic for a wild night out.

Earlier in the day, the Red Cross will be hosting a Zumba Class, providing us with a belated opportunity to work off our Christmas dinners.

Tuesday 2 February

The busiest day yet, Tuesday includes a Wine & Cheese social hosted by the Postgrad Society, a Mini Concert thrown by an assortment of a capella groups, and a Clothing Swap organised by the St Andrews Women for Women International Society.

The biggest events of the day (and night): Unicef’s St Andrews Got Talent and Dance Soc’s 50s Themed Danceathon, both RAG Week headliners.

Wednesday 3 February 

In addition to a classic Sinners, Wednesday will also see a 12 Hour Cycle organised by STAAG Soc. Just outside the union, the cyclers will welcome volunteers or donations throughout the day.

The Psychology & Neuroscience Society and Student Minds will also be hosting a day trip to the Edinburgh zoo, for anyone keen on witnessing pandas and penguins in person.

Thursday 4 February 

Photo: RAG Week
Photo: RAG Week

The must-attend event for Thursday is King and Queen of the Bubble, a competition reminiscent of Freshers Week’s Clan Warfare, in which representatives from our halls will compete for the title of St Andrews royalty.

Throughout the day, Save the Elephant Society will be running a Smoothie Stand from within the Mansefield Building. In the evening, postgrads have the opportunity to attend a social in the Beacon Bar before entering either Club 601 for the headlining event or the main bar for Redefinition, an Edinburgh-based club night briefly lending itself to St Andrews.

Another staple of RAG Week, the annual RAG Debate, will be held in the early evening, deliberating over the idea that charity starts at home.

Friday 5 February

The penultimate day of RAG Week begins with Escape Room, a mysterious event known only by its name and objective: escape the room before time runs out. Held both Friday and Saturday, Escape Room is strongly recommended to anyone who has ever wondered how they would fare in such a situation. Thrill-seekers may also attend Assassins, a popular headlining event.

Friday will also offer a Lunchtime Concert in Younger Hall and Disney Karaoke. You may also pay your library fines Friday, while simultaneously making a charitable donation.

On one of the wildest nights yet, RAG Week will also feature dRAG Walk and Afterparty. After immense success last year, dRAG Walk is back for one of the sassiest and brightest nights of the semester.

Saturday 6 February

Photo: Catwalk
Photo: Catwalk

RAG Week comes to a close with Catwalk, the climax of an incredible week. The first of St Andrews’ famous fashion shows, Catwalk has been building anticipation for months, with early bird tickets sold out and standard tickets going fast. The final headlining event, this one is certainly a must-attend.

Breakaway Society and Guide Dog Society have, respectively, organised a hike to Loch Tay and an Animal-themed Art Exhibition in Rectors. Save the Elephant Society will once again be running its Smoothie Stand throughout the day.