Credit: Sammi Ciardi

The Mermaid’s Christmas Ball, themed Christmas at Hogwarts, set the backdrop for a display of partygoers’ festive trends and seasonal classics. Simplistic styles, such as floor length slip dresses, and short, flirty frocks met lush fabrics and bold colors. Hues of red and burgundy embodied the merry season, while a spectrum of blue contrasted the warmer tones.  The little black dress, and its variations in gray, dominated Diagon Alley. Though winter white was certainly spotted, lighter hues were sparse.

From mere adornment to intricately embellished gowns, velvet, lace, and tasteful embroidery mingled to compose rich textures. Golden embroidered bodices and sweetheart necklines with lace overlays exemplified this composition of lush textures. Fur coats and accents, specifically collars and shawls, complemented an assortment of dress. Sequins, featured in an unexpected range of colors such as aqua blue and hunter green, illuminated the night! Though primarily incorporated into only embellishment, an abundance of sparkles and sequins leant to a more Gatsby inspired style.

Cocktail length dresses in vivid colors and intricate patterns, including, paisley, geometric, and tribal, presented unconventional, yet appealing combinations. Vintage inspired, full-skirted, tea length dresses in velvet and silk taffeta made appearances. Keyhole cutouts proved popular on bodices and backs, respectively. Backless gowns in silk and satin epitomized glamour. Single shoulder dresses seemed to make a grand reappearance, as attendees modeled this style in a variety of colors and fabrics. Elegant crop tops paired with attractive draped skirts added variety to the unavoidable black tie monotone, while bold rompers spiced up the dance floor.

Basic clutches and delicate cross-bodies proved both practical and stylish.

Statement necklaces outlined deeper necklines. The occasional beaded headband or hair ornament paralleled luscious locks, sophisticated braids, and wispy updos. Chunky heels and platforms prevailed over toppling stilettos, though strappy heeled sandals made many an appearance.

The gentlemen of the evening, debatably, made even bolder fashion statements. Seasonally appropriate velvet jackets were noted in deep hues of green, purple, and red.  Tartan trousers and traditional highland dress made for the perfect occasion choice. The most festive of gentlemen selected more comical Christmas themed, printed suits. Silken and woolen scarves in solid and plaid accompanied many tuxedos. Many refined gentlemen selected subtle flares of color and print, such as a flamboyant pocket square. An eclectic array of printed bowties included vibrant pink polka dots, elaborate floral designs, embroidered stag, and patriotic flags.

Kinkell Brye provided a festive venue for a fashionable event. Each carefully selected ensemble shined with character and class. As we are left with “golden snitch” wrappers and glitter from the dance floor, we look forward to a coming New Year and next semester’s events.