On the Rocks Needs You!

0

The streets of St Andrews have grown quiet; the final few suitcases can be heard trundling over the cobbles and the halls of residence have an eerie feel to them, with darkened corridors and creaking pipes. However, as empty as the library may currently be, the students of our university have by no means stopped working their over-driven minds. The committee of On the Rocks are working tirelessly to seamlessly bring together 2016’s festival of arts. Already confirmed participants and potential ones are working hard on their shows or applications.

That is where YOU come in! On the Rocks is the biggest and most successful student-run arts festival in the United Kingdom and it is organised and driven by us, St Andrews students. The early bird application has already passed but there is still a chance for you to get involved. The final application date is 6th January 2016, and as the committee says themselves, don’t miss the chance to be part of something incredible!

12186640_1084840571526564_8409923973043282251_o-2

The committee of On the Rocks are looking for that spark of originality and talent that captures the essence of our coastal town. They are looking for drama, music, photography, art, dance, fashion, comedy, spoken word, film, food, anything at all- whatever you feel would add positively to the festival.

Caroline Christie, the Festival Director, said: “Every year we want to make On The Rocks bigger and better than the year before. This absolutely couldn’t be possible without the huge variety of people who come to us with wonderful ideas for events, classes, workshops and performances. It’s really amazing to be able to help create and facilitate these events so that everyone, in the University and the town, can enjoy and appreciate the talent of St. Andrews.”

2015's performance of 'Do I Dare'
2015’s performance of ‘Do I Dare’

A great variety of events have already been passed for April and include ever popular comedy shows from the University’s improv and sketch troupes, Blind Mirth and The St. Andrews Revue, ShimmySoc’s hugely popular ‘Around the world in dance’, a CD launch from St. Salvator’s Chapel Choir, and the edgy rock musical ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch’ directed by Taryn O’Connor.

The festival is supported by many patrons including Dame Helen Mirren and Dame Judi Dench and with a committed team of student volunteers working behind the scenes; the festival is set to capture the imagination of our community yet again. To do that, the festival needs you! Apply to hold an event, volunteer, attend many events, make this festival enlighten your minds and continue to let our strong art culture flourish.

On The Rocks 2016 will run 1st – 10th April throughout St. Andrews, with the box office and the hub of the festival at The Byre Theatre, South Street.