The question of impunity: a discussion with the Guatemalan Foreign Minister

0
Image: IPA
Image: IPA
Image: IPA

On Friday evening, St Andrews will be given the opportunity of conversing with His Excellency Carlos Raúl Morales, the Foreign Minister of Guatemala. The visit, hosted by the Central American Initiative and the International Politics Association, comes at a topical time in the current political environment: Just this past September, Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina was arrested on charges of fraud and corruption. His replacement, Jimmy Morales, had previously found fame as a comic actor, a nontraditional background that contributed to his landslide victory.

Ambassador Morales has been a figure in international politics for over twenty-five years, with his first position being that of Second Secretary in the United Nations Division of the Multilateral Political Department. His impressive list of credentials extends to Consul at the Guatemalan Embassy in Belmopan, a Member of the Guatemalan and Belizean Commission, and Designated Charge d’Affairs at the Embassy of Guatemala in Honduras.

The discussion provides an excellent opportunity to obtain firsthand knowledge in a developing political situation. Guatemala’s fight against corruption is indicative of a growing trend in Latin American countries, as guilty parties are gradually being held accountable for their actions. The International Commission against Impunity in Guatemala (CICIG), established by the United Nations, seeks to serve as a model for such justice.

Entry to the event will be £2 (either on the door or in advance through Tilt). The proceeds will then be donated to the victims of the recent El Cambray Dos landslide.