Photo: The Other Guys
Photo: The Other Guys

If St Andrews had an anthem, it would be ‘St Andrews Girls’. Released three years ago, the music video contains references to Barbour jackets, the Old Course and Chariots of Fire, all sung against the backdrop of the town’s most iconic locations. It was a fitting follow-up to 2011’s ‘Royal Romance’, an ode to Kate and Wills that catapulted The Other Guys into the national spotlight. They continued their trend of topping tunes with a string of singles: ‘Christmas Gets Worse Every Year’, ‘Run To You’, and (most recently) ‘It’s Raining Men’.

This Friday, a lucky group of students will be treated to live renditions of certain TOG classics and a cracking set of carols at the sold-out concert, Carol Not From Kings, named after their own Christmas mashup. Held at the All Saints’ Church on North Castle Street, the former a cappella champions will be ending first semester on a festive note. Assistant MD Laurence Pemberton assures us that there will be an eclectic mixture of “upbeat Christmas numbers, traditional carols, some more reflective arrangements and of course one or two songs the audience may just recognise.”

At £5 a ticket, proceeds of the night will go towards what Matthew Buchan, Musical Director, describes as “the biggest undertaking in the group’s history,” a mystery project for which details will soon be released. The group intends to make the price tag worth it: with the goal of introducing a new piece every performance, TOG creates a set list that allows their enthusiasm to shine through. Laurence explains that “everyone in the group actively suggests repertoire ideas,” allowing for genuine performances of songs they can enjoy (dancing along to) and singing.

Duncan Bristow, Social Media Manager, impresses upon us that TOG “is determined to make this the best year in TOG history.” With the Scottish A Cappella Championships, a 6th studio album, and a post-exam retreat, it looks like we can expect an exciting year from The Other Guys.