Music society’s Magic of Disney: A magical evening of music

0
Photo Credit: Maryam Golafshani
Photo Credit: Maryam Golafshani

On a dreary Friday night at the end of week 9, with deadlines piling up and the thought of revision for December exams looming, we were all in need of an uplifting evening. The Music Society’s Magic of Disney concert certainly did not fail to deliver, with music from the University’s Big Band and Wind Band filling Younger Hall with nostalgia.

The first half of the concert saw the Big Band take to the stage all sporting very fetching Micky Mouse ears. A few less well known Disney themes were played, along with a couple of crowd pleasers, including Beyond the Sea from the credits of Finding Nemo and You’ve Got a Friend in Me from Toy Story both featuring accomplished vocals from Joe Revell. Flik Machine from the soundtrack of A Bug’s Life was played with great zeal and was one of the outstanding performances of the first half.

After an interval providing both refreshments and the opportunity for face painting, Wind Band came to the stage. The band certainly dressed to impress, wearing various Disney themed outfits; the audience knew they were in for a treat. Highlights have to be the Mary Poppins Medley conducted by a very convincing Mary Poppins look alike in Rachel Davenport, and the Symphonic Highlights from Frozen, both of which got myself and the rest of the audience singing along. Highlights from Brave seemed particularly apt and were played with great energy by the band bringing warmth to Younger Hall on such a cold Scottish night (especially after the music from Frozen!). The evening finished in style with a medley of music featured in the Lion King, including fantastic renditions of The Circle of Life and Hakuna Matata.

Overall, Music Society’s Magic of Disney concert was a perfect escape from the stresses of week 9 and a magical night of music provided by our very talented University bands.