Label Launch party: “come as you are”

0
Photo: Sammi Ciardi
Photo: Sammi Ciardi
Photo: Sammi Ciardi

Inclusivity was the theme of the night. With free entry and instructions to “come as you are,” Label’s launch sought to represent everything that the rookie fashion show looks to embody. Although known for its expensive drinks, the Adamson bar offered a special menu featuring £5 cocktails – with the exception of the Label, a £7 limited edition drink concocted especially for the night’s guests. Combined with cupcakes and goodie bags for the first guests, the event did not have a shortage of incentives.

In addition to promoting the brand, Label’s launch had two goals: advertising for model auditions (14 November at the Union) and to answer any questions that St Andrews may have about the town’s newest show. To summarise: Label was founded by Feminist Society coordinator Jo Boon. Its ambitious mission? To redefine beauty. The committee encourages modelling hopefuls to audition not for the sake of being on a runway, but out of a passion for Label’s cause. Physical beauty will not factor into the selection process.

This focus on inner beauty differentiates Label from the town’s other fashion shows. The committee seeks to represent every member of our diverse student body rather than those who fit a certain set of requirements (be it height or body shape). Model applicants will be interviewed rather than observed, giving them the opportunity to express their motivations behind joining the show. Label hopes to recruit individuals who are passionate about body positivity, feminism, and diversity, rather than people who simply wish to be runway models.

Thanks to an excellent DJ and a crowded yet not cramped venue, the launch proved to be a refreshing change from the typical Vic launch night that we often see. Considering the constant arrival of fresh faces throughout the night, it would seem that the committee was successful in their brand’s unveiling. It may not be ready to join the ranks of the more established fashion shows, but it would seem that Label is determined to make its mark.

Photo: Sammi Ciardi
Photo: Sammi Ciardi