The University as climbed 20 places in the QS World University rankings from 2015/2016, rising from 88th to 68th place in their table of the world’s top 100 universities.

St Andrews’ new ranking was celebrated by Principal Louise Richardson, who said: “This is a terrific achievement and is largely due to the increasing influence of our research and the extent to which the remarkable work that takes place here is cited around the world. This result speaks to our continuing commitment to academic excellence and to our enthusiastic adherence to the essential values of independent scholarly endeavour.”

Vice-principal for research Professor Derek Woollins said: “We are delighted with this outstanding result which reflects our world leading research in a number of areas such as philosophy, English, classics, marine biology, green chemistry and materials.”

Angela Constance, the cabinet secretary for education and life long learning, also praised St Andrews for this achievement. She noted that its steep climb was “impressive,” and that she was “very pleased to see Scottish universities again performing so well in the annual QS rankings.”

Ms Constance credited the government’s role in the strong performance of Scottish universities, saying that: “The Scottish Government invests over £1 billion annually into higher education and we are demonstrating our ongoing commitment to research and knowledge exchange by providing £282 million through the Scottish Funding Council in 2015-16”.

This news comes in the same month that St Andrews was once again ranked as the top university in Scotland by the Times and Sunday Times in their University Guide 2016.