University announces honorary graduates

0

Three distinguished figures from the world of academia and the arts will be awarded honorary degrees by the University next month.

Sir David Edward, Vicky Featherstone and Professor Cheryl Praeger will all be awarded honorary degrees during the St Andrews Day Graduation ceremonies taking place on Monday 30 November.

Professor the Right Honourable Sir David Edward is professor emeritus of the University of Edinburgh and former judge of the Court of Justice of the European Communities (1992 to 2004).

Vicky Featherstone is artistic director of the Royal Court Theatre and former artistic director of The National Theatre of Scotland (2005 to 2012).

Cheryl Praeger is professor of mathematics at the University of Western Australia and Foreign Secretary of the Australian Academy of Science; she was also the first woman president of the Australian Mathematical Society.

The three honorands will join hundreds of graduating students over the three ceremonies taking place at Younger Hall that day.

They join an illustrious list of St Andrews honorary graduates which include Hilary Clinton, Dr Vinton Cerf, Professor Alexander McCall Smith and Lyse Doucet.