St Andrews triumphs in 2015 undergraduate awards

0
www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news

St Andrews students walked away with four of the 25 awards given by the Undergraduate Awards (UA) 2015 programme whilst another 24 stu- dents were highly commended, mak- ing St Andrews more successful than any other university at the awards.The UA is a highly competitive programme which recognises out- standing undergraduates students. It is the largest academic awards pro- gramme in the world and in 2015 it re- ceived 5,117 submissions from under- graduates in 255 universities across 39 countries. Entrants are judged on their coursework pieces and projects and the winners’ work is published in the Undergraduate Journal.

The winning students from St Andrews were: Aleksejs Sazonovs, for the computer sciences category; Eilidh Johnston for the mathematics and physics category; Conor MacDonald, for the medical sciences category; Vincent Förster for the politics and in- ternational relations category.

Louis Hodgson, the UA’s execu- tive director, said: “This is a fantastic achievement for St Andrews and its undergraduates.

“Only the very top students from

each university can submit their coursework, and the Undergraduate Awards identifies the very best of the best. With over 5,000 submis- sions from so many universities this year, the competition was extremely tough.”

The winners will attend the UA Summit in Dublin from 10 to 13 November. Over the course of this three day summit the group will be addressed by an array of high profile speakers. These include philosopher AC Grayling, the world’s youngest professor Dr Alia Sabur and human genome sequencer Craig Venter.

In response to St Andrews stu- dents’ success, the vice-principal, Professor Lorna Milne said: “This is another tremendous achievement by our undergraduates as well as those who teach and support them.

“Competition for these awards in- volves the very best from around the world: to win in four categories and have 24 commendations is an out- standing result.”

The news comes as St Andrews once again performs well in league ta- bles. The University was ranked 86 in The Times Top 200 universities in the world. It was also declared third best in the UK by The Guardian’s league tables.