Over 3,000 stay in University owned accommodation during Open tournament

0

Over 3,000 people stayed in University owned accommodation during this year’s Open golf tournament in St Andrews, it has been revealed.

According to information obtained through a Freedom of Information request, there were 2,337 rooms available in University owned accommodation during the Open this summer and there were over 15,000 occupied room nights over the course of the tournament (13 -21 July).

Rooms were available for golfin fans to rent in five student halls. Agnes Blackadder Hall and David Russell Apartments (DRA) were listed as “premium packages” whilst John Burnet Hall, University Hall and St Salvator’s Hall were all listed as “standard packages.”

Offers that were given to potential holidaymakers ranged from a seven night stay in a (DRA) double room for £1,720, to a five night stay in a single St Salvator’s room for £500. The most expensive option was a seven night stay in a double room in Agnes Blackadder Hall for £1,810.

The University made revenues of well over £2 million as a result of letting out rooms. According to a University spokesperson, all of this money is being “reinvested back into the buildings, constant redevelopment and maintenance of the existing estate.”

Over 200,000 people are estimated to have passed through the town during the tournament. According to VisitScotland, the championship could have boosted the Scottish economy by more than £100 million.