It can get boring going to the same shops over and over again in such a small town, but instead of having to journey elsewhere to find some variety, you can find it right here in St Andrews once a month! The St Andrews farmers’ market is open on the first Saturday of every month from 9 am to 1 pm in the Argyle Street Car Park, which is in between Doubledykes Road and Argyle Street. The market offers a variety of goods from meats to jams to soap. It also often acquires new stands so you never know what you are going to find. Here are some of the exciting stands that offer things you could not normally buy in St Andrews. Make sure to head to the next one on 7 November!
Illustration: Dillon Yeh
Illustration: Dillon Yeh

1. The Wee Pie Company:

Based in Perthshire, The Wee Pie Company sells a variety of pies with all different meats and fillings. They specialise in wild game pies and are known for their original recipes. The company won the Guild of Fine Food Gold Star Award for its Venison Wallace pie and has its own pie shop in Perth. They also offer veggie pies like cheese and potato, and lentil.

2. Meadowsweet Organics:

All of the vegetables, flowers and herbs that Meadowsweet Organics offers come from its organic farm in between the two Lomond Hills near Falkland right here in Fife. They are currently offering salad bags, edible flowers, potatoes, kale, leeks and many other vegetables and herbs.

3. Balhelvie Farm:

Based on the southern bank of the Tay Estuary, Balhelvie Farm sells beef and lamb that graze the pastures on the farm. The farm is 400 acres and has been run by the same family for about 50 years. Balhelvie sells its meat in the form of mince, sausages, steaks and roasts.

4. Knowehead Products:

While it is easy to get jams and relishes around town, Knowehead offers all locally sourced jams made with simple recipes. Their strawberry jam consists only of strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. They also sell relishes, homemade breads and handmade chocolates.

5. The Cocoa Tree Shop:

You don’t have to make the trip to Pittenweem in order to buy their homemade and fine specialty chocolates. They source their chocolate from Scotland, Belgium and around the world picking only the best chocolates. They also sell hot chocolate at the market that you can drink while you browse.

6. The Ochil Fudge Pantry:

If chocolate isn’t enough for you, check out the Ochil Fudge Pantry, and their homemade, hand-beaten fudge. They produce specialty fudge in a variety of creative and interesting flavours including: baileys and white chocolate, banoffee fudge, chilli chocolate fudge, and apple crumble fudge.

7. Auchtermuchty Cake Company:

All of the products that the Auchtermuchty Cake Company produces are gluten free and are without additives and preservatives, but are made to be for anyone, even those who are not gluten free. Some of their products include: fruitcakes, clootie dumplings, carrot cake, ginger biscuits, and Belgian brownies.

8. Strathearn Distillery:

Having only joined the market last May, Strathearn Distillery is one of the few businesses at the farmer’s market that sells alcohol. Calling themselves “probably Scotland’s smallest distillery,” Strathearn makes both whisky and gin and are based in Perthshire. This year the distillery won the award for Scotland’s Craft Spirit of the Year for their Oaked Highland Gin. One of their employees, Zak Shenfield, also won the award for Scotland’s Young Distillery of the Year, he is 22 years old.

***
Other businesses at the Farmers’ Market include: Brewsters Ltd., Arran’s Cheese, Arbroath Smokies, Bellfield Organics, Puddledub Pork, Seriously Good Venison, Chillilicious, Caurnie Soaps, Kirriemuir Briquettes Co Ltd., Nicattos and many more. For more information, visit fifefarmersmarket.co.uk