Police warn St Andrews residents of “card skimming”

0
Photo by Dave Conner.

Police in North East Fife are urging residents to be wary of ATMs in the area, as criminals have found to be targeting them.

The advice comes after a card skimming device was found at a cash machine on Market Street, St Andrews.

Joanne McEwan, Community Inspector, said: “We received a report of a possible skimming device from members of the public on Friday evening. Officers have retrieved the device and the incident remains under investigation. As a result we are advising members of the public to be especially vigilant when withdrawing cash.

“Such devices often feature a skimming mechanism and a small camera which records their key strokes. This allows the criminal to clone the card and, having obtained the PIN, use them to withdraw cash at any ATM.

“Such withdrawals often remain undiscovered until customers check their account transactions.”

The police also advised residents to take certain steps to avoid having their personal details stolen, indeed, Inspector McEwan encouraged members of the public to

“Always check the card reader before using the device. If you notice anything suspicious do not use it and contact Police immediately.

“Check for any additions to the machine that appear out of place. Do not attempt to remove a suspicious device as the criminals may be nearby and watching the machine.

“Always cover your hand when entering your pin.

“Be aware of your surroundings and whether anyone is watching you entering your pin. If so stop the transaction and inform bank staff, security staff or Police.

“Check your account regularly and inform your bank immediately if your account shows any transactions you did not make.”

If you have any information that may assist officers investigation this incident contact Police Scotland on 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111