It has been called many names (Fundee, Scumdee, etc.) and people are quick to make jokes about its university and its clubs, but Dundee has a good side, one that should not be overlooked. Besides just being a place away (but not too far!) from St Andrews where you can catch your breath, Dundee offers recreational and cultural activities that will make your visit fun. Only up to a 40-minute bus ride away and for only £8.70 return it is worth adding to your list of local excursions.

Photo: Wikimedia
Photo: Wikimedia

If you like to shop, then it is likely you will get sick of the limited number of stores here in town. Dundee has both a shopping centre and stores spread out throughout the town. The shopping centre has a wide range of stores some of which are: Debenhams, Topshop and Topman, Lush, etc. There’s also an Argos if you need household things at a cheaper price. Outside of the shopping centre there is also a Body Shop and a Slater’s among many stores you can’t find in St Andrews.

If you are looking to see movies that are not playing at the movie theatre in St Andrews, Dundee has the movie theatres for you. There are two movie theatres in Dundee, both with up to 40 films playing at a time. The first one is Cineworld Cinemas, which is in the Camperdown Leisure Park. They offer new films, recordings of performances, and 3D movies. Student tickets are £6.50. The second one is the Odeon, which is on Douglas Road. The Odeon has fewer films at a time but they are always current and up to date. Student tickets are £6.00. Both movie theatres are cheaper than the movie theatre in town.

If you prefer your entertainment in the form of art, then you will probably find yourself at the McManus Art Gallery & Museum. Housed inside a beautiful gothic revival-style building, the galleries focus on the history of Dundee over 400 million years. There are eight galleries inside including: Landscapes and Lives, Making of Modern Dundee and the Victoria Gallery. Admission is free and it is open seven days a week. It is located in Albert Square.

If the sea is too cold for you, then the Olympia swimming pool would be a good alternative. They have a leisure pool, 4 flumes (one of which ends with a 3.8m drop), a rapid river, waves and bubble beds. If you are under 26 years old then you can pay the Young Scot price, which is £4.50 for a one-hour session. The pool is located on East Whale Lane.

Another place to go to for sport in Dundee is Avertical World, which is an indoor climbing centre. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, they offer courses, sessions and equipment to help you have the best time possible.

In terms of sight seeing, Dundee is famous for its extinct volcano, formed around 400 million years ago, called the Dundee Law. It has a 572-foot peak, which offers stunning views of the surrounding area. The volcano is preserved, the walk up to the site is surrounded by nature.

While there are many pubs in St Andrews, there are still limited options in terms of types of beer. Dundee now has a Brewdog, which offers over 15 different crafts. It is located in the Chamber Building and is open seven days a week from 12pm to 12am. If you are missing clubs while in St Andrews, Dundee has a couple clubs to check out. The most popular club is Liquid, which has events every weekend with live DJ’s. In addition to the Brewdog and Liquid, St Andrews students can also enter the Dundee University student union for free with a student card.