Janetta’s launches cancer charity campaign

0
Photo by Terry Lee

September is CLIC Sargent’s childhood cancer awareness month and this year local business Jannettas Gelateria is supporting it by urging their customers, and the St Andrews community, to donate money in return for a sweet treat.

The gelateria has created golden shots of passion fruit sorbet to match the theme CLIC Sargent are promoting for this year’s nationwide campaign. Jannettas staff will be heading to the Church Square in St Andrews throughout this month giving away sample shots of their specially commissioned passion fruit sorbet in return for donations. The Perth shop will also be taking part in this fundraising campaign.

This campaign follows on from their support of Wig Wednesday earlier this year – also one of CLIC Sargent’s fundraising and awareness events – during which they raised almost £400 for the charity.

One of the co-owners of Jannettas, Owen Hazel, said: “We are once again delighted to be supporting this fantastic and extremely worthy charity which helps so many young people with cancer and, of course, their families. Our generous customers raised almost £400 during Wig Wednesday and we’re hopeful of raising another impressive amount to help boost CLIC Sargent’s funds further.”

CLIC Sargent are one of the UK’s leading cancer charitys for children and young people and their families. It was formed in 2005 after a successful merger between Cancer and Leukaemia In Childhood (CLIC) and Sargent Cancer Care for Children.

According to their website, they work towards “the vision of a world where all children and young people with cancer can live life to the full.” They also aim to provide “clinical, practical and emotional support to help them cope with cancer and get the most out of life.”

Cancer remains the largest cause of death from disease among children and young people in the UK.

CLIC Sargent aims to provide these children and young people, and their families, with support in many different ways. They provide information not just on childhood cancer itself, but also on grants and benefits available to children with cancer in order to try and ease the financial impact cancer can have on their families.

They also provide free ‘Home from Home’ accommodation close to specialist hospitals so that families can be close to their children during treatment and free holidays and short breaks so that families can spend time together.

Deirdre Curley, a CLIC Sargent fundraising manager, said: “I am delighted that Jannettas Gelateria is supporting CLIC Sargent throughout Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. They have been a tremendous support to CLIC Sargent, helping us spread awareness of the important work we do.

“Every day ten children and young people are given the devastating news that they have cancer. All the money raised from Wig Wednesday and this campaign goes towards CLIC Sargent’s work providing vital practical, emotional and financial support for families whose lives have been turned upside down by cancer.”