Eight tips to help you get your deposit back

0
Photo: Wikipedia

We have all heard the horror stories of people losing money off their deposit or their entire deposit at the end of the year; here are some ways to prevent that:

1. Be thorough on your inventory at the beginning of the year. Doing your inventory can be boring, but the more specific you are the more money you will get back. Otherwise, you could be charged for things that weren’t your fault because there’s no proof you didn’t do it. Don’t be afraid to take pictures. It is really important to make sure all of your appliances work as soon as possible, especially things like the hoover. If the hoover does not work and then they find that the flat hasn’t been hoovered, then it will be your fault for not telling them.
  2. Be careful about hanging posters. There are many different ways to hang posters (blu-tack, pins, 3M adhesive strips, etc.) and landlords and tenants usually have a preference. It is important to ask which kind they want you to use so that you don’t get in trouble later for ruining your walls.
  3. Clean up big messes when they happen. Don’t wait for things to get rubbed into your carpet or for that wine stain to set on your table. Do your best to clean it as best as possible, as soon as possible.
  4. Be honest with your landlord if you need help with something. It is important to build a good relationship with them so that they know you are responsible and they can trust you with their property. If you don’t know how to wash or clean something, just ask.
  5. Learn how your house works. Make sure you know how to take your meter readings and switch on and off the water and electricity. If there should be a leak or anything goes wrong, it is important to know how to do your best to stop it and prevent damage until someone comes to fix it.
  6. Call your landlord as soon as something goes wrong. Most of the time they will have a plumber or electrician on call for them. Don’t try to fix things yourself if you don’t know how and don’t try to get someone else to do it so you don’t get in trouble. Your landlord will be happy that you’re being honest.
  7. Don’t lose your keys. You will be charged for losing your keys as they are listed on the inventory. Do whatever you need to do to keep track of them.
  8. Try your best to do advised safety checks. They can be a real hassle and are easy to forget but it is important to keep up with them as best you can. If you don’t do them for a few months and then realize something isn’t working, that’s when you can get into trouble.