Bubble has one of the smallest Union block grants in Scotland

0

St Andrews’ Students’ Association has one of the lowest levels of funding out of the five major universities in Scotland, a Freedom of Information request submitted by The Saint has revealed.

The block grant is the main source of funding for the Union and is set aside by the University each year. The Association received £545,556 from the University for this academic year.

This compares to the £715,000 received by Dundee Students’ Association, and the £1.484 million at Strathclyde and £2.799 million at Edinburgh.

This is partly reflective of the difference in size of student bodies.

The St Andrews block grant equates to £56.04 per student, ranking third of the five universities. By this scale, the University of Glasgow had the lowest funding level at £45.84 per student, student.

However, St Andrews’ grant has substantially increased over the past five years, with the grant for this year being 53 per cent higher than in 2010/11.

This is in contrast to the other major universities, where grants have seen only small increases. Glasgow’s grant increased by only 1.9 per cent over the same period.

Students’ Association President, Pat Matthewson, said: “We are are incredibly proud of what we have been able to accomplish with the resources available to us.

“The University has played a key role in ensuring our success, firstly by providing the bulk of the funding for our £12 million redevelopment project and secondly through the repeated expansion of our annual block grant in recent years.”