Emergency services have been called to East Sands leisure centre following a chemical spill, the fire service have confirmed.

Fire crews and ambulances were called out to St Andrews’ local swimming pool shortly after 1 pm and the far side of the beach has been evacuated.

A safety official on site told The Saint that the chlorine alarm is going off inside the building and that around 15 people have been admitted to hospital with chlorine burns.

The fire service is reported to be dealing with a leak of sodium hypochlorite, commonly used as a disinfectant when dissolved in water.

Three appliances, including the heavy rescue unit from Dundee, are in attendance as are multiple ambulances, according to reports.

There is no official number of casualties yet or any word on the severity of injuries. However, emergency services have confirmed that there are no fatalities.

The leisure centre has been closed indefinitely.

Photo credit: Chris Walker
Photo credit: Chris Walker
Photo credit: Chris Walker
Photo credit: Chris Walker
Photo credit: Chris Walker
Photo credit: Chris Walker
Photo credit: Chris Walker
Photo credit: Chris Walker

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.