Louise Richardson may have spent St Andrews’ graduation week bestowing honours on others, but this week it was her turn to be celebrated as she received a honourary degree from Queen’s University in Belfast.

Professor Richardson, who earlier this year became the first woman to be appointed Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford, received the degree for her “exceptional services to education.”

Currently the Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University of St Andrews, Professor Richardson is a native of County Watford in the Republic of Ireland and a graduate of Trinity College in Dublin. She then received a Rotary Scholarship to study in the US and completed a PhD at Harvard University, where she taught for many years and held a number of high-profile positions.

Commenting on her honorary degree, Professor Richardson said: “I am both delighted and honoured to receive this award from Queen’s University, a university which has played such a pivotal role in the history of these islands and which has educated so many leading figures in public life, the arts, academia and sport.”

Queen’s University awards honorary degrees to individuals who have achieved distinction or given significant service in one or more fields of public or professional life, and who serve as ambassadors for the University and Northern Ireland around the world.

Other recipients of honourary degrees included gold medal-winning Paralympian Kelly Gallagher, President of the Royal Academy of Engineering Professor Dame Ann Dowling and Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley.